Does diameter of air coil in electromagnet affect strength?

The title is explanatory. I know that an iron core yields a stronger electromagnet. What if you have an electromagnet with an extremely tiny air coil relative to its volume? Does the small air coil diameter effect the electromagnet?

tech99

Gold Member
The title is explanatory. I know that an iron core yields a stronger electromagnet. What if you have an electromagnet with an extremely tiny air coil relative to its volume? Does the small air coil diameter effect the electromagnet?
The small coil, with the wire wrapped tightly around the iron core, will give a stronger magnet because nearly all the field of the coil passes through the iron. With a large diameter coil, much of the field does not pass through the iron - there is more leakage.

The small coil, with the wire wrapped tightly around the iron core, will give a stronger magnet because nearly all the field of the coil passes through the iron. With a large diameter coil, much of the field does not pass through the iron - there is more leakage.
That makes sense, but what about air coils? If I don't have an iron coil but rather an air coil. Does having an extremely small air coil diameter (like almost no air coil whatsoever) affect the magnet strength?