Air Force Enlisted to bachelors - best/fastest route?

In summary, the person has signed a contract with the Air Force as an enlisted personnel and is hoping for a smooth experience. They are looking for options to obtain a bachelor's degree while in active service. In some countries, defense agencies offer support for specific degrees like engineering and pay the individual while they study. However, there may be conditions such as serving for a longer period of time and having to pay back any owed fees if the individual is kicked out. The person suggests finding out if this option is available, especially for engineering degrees.
Cupofs0up
Hi there,

I've signed a contract with the Air Force as an enlisted personnel. Hoping everything goes fine. What's the best way to get to a bachelors while Enlisted? What are the options I have while in active service at supplementing my education? Any information much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Cupofs0up and welcome to the forums.

I don't know what it's like in your country or what the conditions of your contract are, but here certain defence related agencies have support for doing very specific degrees like engineering and they pay you while you study.

The catch is you have to serve for usually at minimum twice the length of the degree and if you get kicked out you have to pay whatever you owe back (so the longer time you have left, the more you owe back).

I'm assuming you understand full well what you are bound by once you are enlisted since you have already signed a contract, so it sounds like you be bound under a similar kind of agreement if you were under a sponsored arrangement for a bachelors (like engineering) if they had that.

Even if you have to serve for a little while or go in the queue for this arrangement, it might help you out if you can find out whether this is available: especially if you wanted to do an engineering degree like mechanical/aero-nautical/electrical engineering.

1. How long does it typically take to complete a bachelor's degree while serving in the Air Force?

The amount of time it takes to complete a bachelor's degree while serving in the Air Force can vary depending on a variety of factors such as the specific degree program, prior college credits, and military duties. However, on average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a bachelor's degree while serving in the Air Force.

2. What is the best degree program for Air Force enlisted members to pursue?

The best degree program for Air Force enlisted members to pursue is one that aligns with their interests and career goals. Some popular degrees among Air Force enlisted members include business, management, and engineering. It's important to research different degree programs and choose one that will benefit your career in the Air Force and beyond.

3. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for Air Force enlisted members to pursue a bachelor's degree?

Yes, there are some requirements and qualifications for Air Force enlisted members to pursue a bachelor's degree. These may include meeting certain academic standards, obtaining permission from your commanding officer, and completing any necessary paperwork. It's important to consult with your education office for specific requirements and guidelines.

4. Can I use my GI Bill benefits to pay for a bachelor's degree while serving in the Air Force?

Yes, Air Force enlisted members can use their GI Bill benefits to pay for a bachelor's degree while serving in the Air Force. The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits which can be used towards tuition, fees, and other educational expenses.

5. Are there any accelerated degree programs available for Air Force enlisted members?

Yes, there are accelerated degree programs available for Air Force enlisted members. These programs typically offer shorter class durations and more flexible schedules, allowing students to complete their degree at a faster pace. Some universities also offer credit for military training and experience, which can shorten the time needed to complete a degree.