Air in the Lungs thermodynamics help

In summary: No problem. Glad to help.In summary, a group of people stuck on a submarine at the bottom of the ocean must make their way to the surface without diving gear. The air pressure on board is 3.000 atm and the air temperature is 18.02 °C, with a body temperature of 36.04 °C. The second person to leave takes a deep breath and slowly inhales to increase their lung volume by 4.080 L. They exhale all the way to the surface to maintain a constant lung volume. Using the ideal gas law, the number of moles of gas remaining in the lungs is found to be 0.208 moles.
Nigzzzz
A submarine has run into trouble and is stuck at the bottom of the ocean. Several people are on board and must make their way to the surface without any diving gear. The air pressure aboard the submarine is 3.000 atm. The air temperature inside the submarine is 18.02 °C and you can take body temperature (inside the lungs) to be 36.04 °C.

1. The second person to leave also takes a breath as deep as possible by exhaling as far as possible (leaving a volume of 1.190 L in their lungs), and then slowly inhaling to increase their lung volume by 4.080 L. His body temperature is also 36.04 °C. This person breathes out all the way to the surface in order to maintain a constant lung volume. How many moles of gas remain in the lungs?Relevant equations:
PV = nRTThe attempt at a solution:
i found the total volume of the lungs to be
Vtotal = 1.190L + 4.080L = 5.270L = 0.005270m^3

and using PV = nRT i found the number of moles at full capacity lungs
(3.00 x 101300)(0.005270) = n(8.314)(36.04+273.15)
n = 0.6230 moles

then i found the number of moles when the person exhales using PV = nRT
(3.00 x 101300)(0.004080 - 0.001190) = n(8.314)(36.04+273.15)
n = 0.365

∴ the change in moles is n = 0.6230 - 0.341 = 0.281mols

BUT the actual answer is 0.208 mols and i don't know what I'm doing wrong HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Nigzzzz.

What is volume of the lungs when the person reaches the surface?

What is the pressure of the air in the lungs at the surface?

What is the temperature of the air in the lungs at the surface?

have to assume that lung pressure is the same as air pressure as no other pressure is given so 3.00atm, and it's provided that lung temperature is at 36.04 °C, since the person exhaled all the way i would assume the remaining volume would be 1.190L

Nigzzzz said:
have to assume that lung pressure is the same as air pressure as no other pressure is given so 3.00atm,

I think you can assume that the pressure inside the lungs will be the same as the pressure of the surroundings at the surface.

and it's provided that lung temperature is at 36.04 °C,

Yes, that sounds right.

since the person exhaled all the way i would assume the remaining volume would be 1.190L

Note that the problem stated that the volume of the lungs remains constant while going to the surface.

would that mean it remains at the inhaled capacity - 4.080L? or the difference between 2 volumes?

What did you find for the total volume of the lungs after the inhale? That would be the volume of the lungs at the the start of the ascent to the surface.

it says that he slowly inhaled by 4.080L with a residual volume of 1.190L so after inhalation he would have 5.270L, would this be the volume constant in the ascend?

That's how I interpret it.

but that would only be useful in giving me the number of moles in the lungs after inhalation? and it says that he exhaled to the surface to find the number of moles after exhalation?

But if you know the three quantities that I asked about in post #2, can you find the number of moles left in the lungs at the surface?

OHHH

so you use PV = nRT

101300 x 0.005270 = n(8.314)(36.04 + 273.15)

n = 0.208 moles

OK i think i get it! hahaha

Last edited:
thanks so much!

OK, good. (But it's a little strange the way you wrote your last equation. The amount on the far left of the equation does not equal the amount in the middle or the amount on the right. :smile:)

woops forgot the n that's why

1. How does air enter and exit the lungs?

Air enters and exits the lungs through the process of breathing. When we inhale, the diaphragm and other muscles in the chest cavity contract, expanding the lungs and creating a negative pressure. This negative pressure allows air to flow into the lungs. When we exhale, the muscles relax and the lungs recoil, pushing the air out.

2. What role do the lungs play in thermodynamics?

The lungs play a vital role in thermodynamics by facilitating the exchange of gases between the body and the external environment. The air we inhale contains oxygen, which is necessary for cellular respiration and energy production. The lungs absorb this oxygen and release carbon dioxide, a waste product of cellular respiration.

3. How does the temperature of the air in the lungs affect the body?

The temperature of the air in the lungs can affect the body in several ways. When cold air is inhaled, it can cause the airways to constrict, which can make breathing more difficult. On the other hand, warm air can help to relax the airways and make breathing easier. Additionally, the temperature of the air in the lungs can affect the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, which can impact overall body temperature and metabolism.

4. How does the body regulate the temperature of the air in the lungs?

The body regulates the temperature of the air in the lungs through a process called thermoregulation. This involves the coordination of the respiratory and circulatory systems. The respiratory system helps to warm or cool the air as it passes through the nose and mouth, while the circulatory system helps to distribute the heated or cooled air to the rest of the body.

5. What is the relationship between air volume and pressure in the lungs?

The relationship between air volume and pressure in the lungs is known as Boyle's law. This law states that as the volume of a gas (such as air) increases, the pressure of the gas decreases and vice versa. In the lungs, when we inhale and increase the volume of the lungs, the pressure decreases, allowing air to flow in. When we exhale and decrease the volume of the lungs, the pressure increases, pushing air out.