Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Air movement in an exhaust systems

1. Jul 20, 2017 #1
    Hello i'm trying to understand how exhaust systems work .In general I want to understand how air movement changes according to leight of vent tubes. Example I have made little vent system with in lane fan that sucks air out of room. As I understand air speed in tube that is pulling air from chamber to fan is constant depending of fan speed, but air movement in exhaust part of tube(after fan)? Will air apeed will change if I will change leight of exhaustion tube, and making some angles will level down noise but will it lower air speed in end or maybe air will gather in exhaust tube if it will be too
    long?
    Raivis

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There volumetric flow rate has to be the same everywhere in the duct and adding more ductwork adds friction, reducing that flow rate.

4. Jul 20, 2017 #3
    Thanks for response!
    So it mens there must be some way to calculate optimal leight of duct. If there is can I get formula for thoes calculations. I tried to google Volumetric flow rate I got simple explanation and SI unit, but there's no other formulas that would explain efficiency.

5. Jul 20, 2017 #4

russ_watters

What does "optimal length of duct" mean?

6. Jul 20, 2017 #5
    Leight of duct that will allow air travel trough it and not lose high amount of velocity.

7. Jul 20, 2017 #6

russ_watters

In that case, the optimal duct length is zero.

8. Jul 20, 2017 #7
    After 3h scrooling and reading in google I found things I was looking for. But thanks for helping brighten my flat brain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted