Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure from a ceiling fan.

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    I think a ceiling fan would increase air pressure in a room, whilst an exhaust fan would decrease pressure if it was withdrawing air from the room. However with an exhaust fan, If the room was sealed off, wouldnt air tend to flow inwards through the exhaust fan as well in an attempt to equalize the pressure? Cheers.. just curious :D

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2
    Also is the temperature colder in low pressure because their are less air molecules interacting with out skin and hence less warmth imparted upon us?

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

A regular ceiling fan will not either increase nor decrease pressure; it just moves the air around. In a sealed room, an exhaust fan of sufficient capacity would lower the pressure, since it removes air from the room. That's pretty much how a vacuum chamber works.
    I don't know the answer to your second post, but I suspect that you're correct.

5. Dec 26, 2008 #4
    would the fan impart some kinetic energy onto the air molecules which would increase pressure?

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with the ideal gas law, PV=nRT? (If not, you should make yourself familiar with it!)

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6
    Hi Hurky!

8. Dec 26, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It would not change average pressure, but it will make pressure between parts of the room to differ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?