1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure with bernoulli's equation

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1
    Nevermind, I think I figured out why I needed to set P2 = 0 in the first problem. Actually, what I needed to do was set P2 = 1 atm, and when I calculated force, I needed to use F = (P2 - P1) * A to get the right answer.

So just ignore this...but here's the post anyway:

For anyone who has the book, giancoli 5th ed, pg 306 number 39 and 41.

Question 1: If wind blows at 30 m/s over your house, what is the net force on the flat roof if its area is 240 m^2.

Question 2: Estimate the air pressure at the center of a hurricane with wind speed of 300 km/h at the center.

For question 1 and 2, using bernoulli's equation, and setting y1=y2=0, we have:

P1 + 1/2*d*v1^2 = P2 + 1/2*d*v2^2 where d = density of air = 1.29 kg/m^3

For question 1, if we set P2 = 0 and v2 = 0, and v1 = 30 m/s, I get the right answer. I solve for P1 and then for the force, I just say F = P1 * A where A = 240m^2.

But for question 2, if I do the same thing, with P2 = 0 and v2 = 0 and v1 = 300 km/h = 83 m/s, I do not the right answer. But, if I set P2 = 1 atm, I get the right answer.

Can someone explain how to solve these two questions?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted