1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Resistance and drag coefficien

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object of mass 10kg is projected upwards (from ground level) with initial velocity 60m/s. It hits the ground 8.4 seconds later.

Find the drag coefficient, k.

2. Relevant equations

dv/dt + rv = -g, where r = k/m

3. The attempt at a solution

I have used the integrating factor of e^rt to give me the final equation:

v = -g/r + C/e^rt

I then plug in the initial values to get:

60 = -98/k + C

I am not sure what to do next. We are given an impact time of 8.4 seconds. Do I assume that at this instant the velocity is -60 m/s (i.e. the exact opposite of the initial)? Or can I assume that at time 4.2 seconds the velocity is equal to 0? In either case, I am not sure how to solve the equation so that I only have one variable (e.g. just k or just C).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2
    I don't follow your logic, why would you do this? I would start by making a FBD of the object. Your drag force will obviously be a function of velocity but you should come up with a fairly simple integral based off of the golden kinematics equations.
  4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Solved it.

I had to use e^-rt, use the initial velocity to give me a value for C, substitute that back in and then integrate with respect to t to give me height. From there you know that at t=0 and t=8.4, the height is 0. You can then calculate r and because you know the mass, k.

Use that r value for the velocity and you can then solve the velocity at t=8.4. The maximum height will be when the velocity equation is equal to 0.

Took me 2 hours, but I worked it out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?