1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Report on air resistance of projectile motion

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All right, I'm doing a report for school that is due this friday and so far i have built a trebuchet, which is nearly irrelevent as I am prepared to invent results to match my report.

Basically what I want to do is have an idea on where to go/what to do for my report, I had ideas about discovering a variable for air resistance for that given object that has been fired in those conditions, or something to do with air resistance and its affect on the actual result of a fired projectile compared to results attained by normal projectile motion equations;
    Sx=uxt etc etc.

Any suggestions / general discussion would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Edit: Just for some background info, I'm in grade/year 12 physics in Australia

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    Amazing! How big?!? :rofl: Turn it on the school...

Is there any more guidance on what you have to do for your report? Do you just need to do any experiment?

Sounds like you're interested in air resistance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes%27_law" [Broken]) - you could try and show that the drag force is proportional to the object's speed?

How would you attain a theoretical value - to compare to experiment? You would have to have a measurement (or estimate) of the speed at launch, or the energy in the system.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook