Aircraft fitter/assembly -- Thoughts about future career path please

In summary, even if robots take over most of the manufacturing work in aircraft factories, there will still be a need for people to maintain and repair aircraft.
Hybri25
Hey guys, I have a job offer as an aircraft fitter(assembler? technican?). My job duties will be: drilling, reaming, riveting, installing hi-locks, reading and interpreting drawings, assembling aircraft parts and other.

Can you tell me is there a future in this job?. I'm afraid that robots will replace me at work because of this -> https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pre...-a320-structure-assembly-line-in-hamburg.html full automated :(. But I still find job offers in this profession and I don't know what to do now.. is there a future or no? I'm really like this job but I'm worried the robots will replaced me.

I found a job offer https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/job/-/-/694/13680703?codes=1-INDEED I do the same in my work, so maybe there is a future in this job, I don't know. What's your opinion? sorry for my english grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think jobs like that will exist for a very long time, but yes robots will gradually take over more and more of that work. I see three options for avoiding unemployment:

1. Be really good at your job.
2. Use the job as a springboard to a better one in that field (robot technician?)
3. Go into a field with better job prospects.

The first two are always recommended, robots or no robots.

Likes Klystron, berkeman and Bystander
Thank you for reply Russ!, One guy told me there is no chance to full automated aircraft lines in 20-30 years..
I like this job and I care about it. Airbus has automated the production of one type of aircraft but there are many types of aircrafts, so I wonder if there is a reason for concern.1) I want to learn English and Germany.
2) I want to get more qualifications by trainings and courses
3) I want to be good at my job.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Hybri25 said:
Can you tell me is there a future in this job?. I'm afraid that robots will replace me at work
russ_watters said:
2. Use the job as a springboard to a better one in that field (robot technician?)
Hybri25 said:
2) I want to get more qualifications by trainings and courses
I think these are key points. Does Airbus or Lockheed offer continuing education classes or opportunities? Many companies (especially larger ones) will help pay for continuing education classes that you take that can improve your job performance or help you grow into better positions at their company.

You can search prospective employers' websites in their employment sections using search terms like Continuing Education and Tuition Reimbursement to see what they offer. Here is a page that I got to at Lockheed Martin's website, for example:

https://sustainability.lockheedmartin.com/sustainability/employee-wellbeing.html

1. I would not count on any job whatsoever to last the 40-45 working years of a career.
  2. I would be continually learning new things to adapt to a changing world.
  3. Airbus has an army of engineers. They are not all or even most designing airplanes. They are designing machines that make airplanes.

Likes David Lewis, russ_watters, anorlunda and 1 other person
OP: Acquire as wide a range of skills and experience as you can. Even assuming that robots take over the production of new aircraft in factories, they are unlikely to take over the maintenance and repair of in-service aircraft.

1. What is an aircraft fitter/assembly?

An aircraft fitter/assembly is a skilled technician who is responsible for assembling, installing, and maintaining aircraft components, such as engines, wings, and control systems.

2. What skills are required to become an aircraft fitter/assembly?

To become an aircraft fitter/assembly, one needs to have a strong mechanical aptitude, good hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, and the ability to read and understand technical drawings and specifications.

3. What are the educational requirements for becoming an aircraft fitter/assembly?

Most aircraft fitter/assembly positions require a high school diploma or equivalent. However, some employers may prefer candidates with a certificate or associate's degree in aircraft mechanics or a related field.

4. What is the job outlook for aircraft fitter/assembly positions?

The job outlook for aircraft fitter/assembly positions is expected to remain steady in the coming years. With the growing demand for air travel, there will continue to be a need for skilled technicians to assemble and maintain aircraft.

5. What are some potential career paths for an aircraft fitter/assembly?

Some potential career paths for an aircraft fitter/assembly include becoming a lead mechanic, quality control inspector, or aircraft maintenance supervisor. With additional education and experience, one could also advance to become an aircraft engineer or manager.