Airplane Motion in Plane: West 900 km/h vs NE 300 km/h

  • Thread starter Thread starter RENI2345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
RENI2345
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An airplane maintains a heading due west at an airspeed of 900 km/h. It is flyinh through a hurricane with winds of 300 km/h from northeast.
a) in which direction is the plane moving relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


so I have draw the picture of how it looks, and written my givens down, this is confusing me because it is no longer a right angle triangle, what do I have to do?[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
RENI2345 said:

Homework Statement


An airplane maintains a heading due west at an airspeed of 900 km/h. It is flyinh through a hurricane with winds of 300 km/h from northeast.
a) in which direction is the plane moving relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


so I have draw the picture of how it looks, and written my givens down, this is confusing me because it is no longer a right angle triangle, what do I have to do?[/B]
Use trigonometry for non-right triangles.

Do you know the Sine Rule? The Cosine Rule?

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/step-up/sect4/index.htm

Scroll down a bit from the top.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cellurl