1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in a Plane, Vector Addition/Subtraction

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Snoopy is flying his plane, the Sopwith Camel, in search of the Red Baron. He flies with a constant speed of 120 km/h relative to air, and makes instantaneous turns when necessary. He follows a perfectly square path on the ground, using north - south and east - west roads as a guide for each of the 60 km sides. On a day when there is a steady 60 km/h wind blowing diagonally across the square (southwest wind), how long does the trip take?

2. Relevant equations
    Relative Motion
    V-speed, P-Plane, A-Air, G-Ground
    PVG = PVA + AVG

Cosine Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    My assumption on the problem is that the airspeed of 120 km/h must have an added components of 60 km/h (NE) to counteract it so that the resultant will have its course on the correct path 60 km North. This is done for each side.
    I have drawn out my vectors in the attached image.
    Using cosine law I can find the new airspeed, but I don't know what to do after.
    Please Help and Thank You

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Your diagram will find a new ground speed if Snoopy points the plane due North, then "side-slips" his way across the landscape.
    Snoopy is to maintain a ground speed of due North, so on the first leg will be pointing somewhat West of North.

The wind speed adds a constant North and East component to any velocity the plane has relative to the air.
    To fly in a specific N, S, E or W direction, the velocity of the plane must have a component to cancel out the "unwanted" component of the wind.

For example, suppose a different wind had a North component of 20 km/h, and an East component of 20 km/h.

To fly North, the 120km/h of the plane would have to have a westerly component of 20 km/h to balance the wind and achieve a due North heading.

PS. Wouldn't it be weird if the problem could be worked out this simply:
    If there was no wind, Snoopy merely points N, E, S then W, and flies for 60km each time, to cover the square. That would take 2 hours.
    If he did that with the wind blowing, he would actually end up 120 km NE of where he started. It would take 2 hours to return to his starting point [he would be flying into a head wind so only gaining 60 k each hour]. So the whole trip would take 4 hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook