Algebra based physics exercise practice

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and analyzing the equation T= 2∏√(m/k), which is also known as "Period of a Mass on a Spring". The equation is a theory question based on physics and the goal is to determine what will happen to one variable if another variable is changed. The constants in the equation are "2", "∏", and "k", which is the spring constant. The equation can be rearranged to T = A * √m, where A is a new constant that represents 2∏/√k. It is concluded that the period T is proportional to the square root of the mass, meaning that increasing the mass will increase the period and decrease the
Julio Cesar
1. "The problem statement" is more of a theory question based on physics. This would be my first post to this forum and I'm attempting to follow the rules as best I can. I guess the equation in question is T= 2∏√(m/k)

2. The above mentioned equation. According to my textbook author James S. Walker 4th Ed Physics text. This equation is called "Period of a Mass on a Spring"

3. My attempt at a solution is not a numerical answer because this is not a homework question. I don't know how to describe it but it involves looking at the equation and somehow knowing what will happen to one variable if another variable is changed. I honeslty would like some serious help with this as it seems that most of the other students in the course seem to have this down intuitively but I don't, I'm drowning. I hope this works to the moderators specifications. I don't know what else to write as this is a question from me and not a homework question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
T= 2∏√(m/k)

Ok. I would start but noting which parts are constants...

Obviously "2" and "∏" are constants.
"k" is the spring constant and depends on the physical properties of the spring. Normally they don't change unless you change the spring so we'll assume that's constant (I suppose some devious examiner might come up with a problem that involves changing the spring so watch out for that :-).

Then I'd rearrange all the constants so they are together...

T= 2∏√(m/k)

= √m * 2∏/√k

Then let's create a new constant A = 2∏/√k and the equation becomes..

T = A * √m

So fairly easy to see that the period T is proportional to the square root of the mass. Increase the mass and T increases. Since T=1/f the frequency reduces.

As an exercise work out what would happen if the mass was kept constant and the spring was heat treated somehow so the spring constant k reduced.

1. What is algebra-based physics?

Algebra-based physics is a branch of physics that uses algebraic equations to describe and analyze physical phenomena. It is typically taught at the introductory level and does not require advanced calculus.

2. Why is it important to practice exercises in algebra-based physics?

Practicing exercises in algebra-based physics helps students develop problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of fundamental principles and concepts. It also prepares them for more advanced physics courses.

3. What types of exercises can be found in algebra-based physics practice?

Exercises in algebra-based physics can range from simple calculations and word problems to more complex problems involving multiple concepts. They may also include graphical analysis and conceptual questions.

4. How can I effectively practice algebra-based physics exercises?

To effectively practice algebra-based physics exercises, it is important to first understand the underlying concepts and principles. Then, start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more challenging ones. It is also helpful to review and reflect on your mistakes to improve your understanding.

5. Where can I find resources for algebra-based physics exercise practice?

There are many online and offline resources available for algebra-based physics exercise practice, including textbooks, workbooks, practice sets, and online platforms. Your instructor or school may also provide additional resources and practice materials.