Algebra inequalities and exponents

In summary: Anyway, 2x + 5 < \frac{x-1}{4} \rightarrow 7x + 20 < x - 1 \rightarrow 6x < -21 \rightarrow x < \frac{-7}{2} = -3.5For the second equation, because we're dealing with an exponential, it's not possible to solve for n algebraically. Instead, we use logarithms, specifically logarithms with base 4.4^{2n-3} = 16 \rightarrow log_4 {4^{2n-3}} = log_4 {16} \rightarrow 2n-3 = 2 \rightarrow 2n = 5 \rightarrow n = 2.
Taylor_1989
I have been stuck on two question for sometime, and would appreciate some guidance to where I am going wrong. Here are the two questions I seem to have trouble understanding.

1. 2x+5 < x-1/4
I have had numerous attempts at this equation and seem to get the answer wrong each time. The book says the ans= - 3. Here a the two methods I have tried to get the correct answer:

first attempt: 2x+5 < x-1/4 = 2x-x > -1 -5 / 4 = x > -6 / 4

second attempt: 2x+5 < x-1/4 = 4(2x+5) < 4(x-1/4) = 8x+20 < 4x - 4/4 = 8x+20= x

8x-x+20=0 = 8x-x= 20 which I then simplify to x = 20/7. As you can properly tell I am not getting the right answer could some please set me straight.

2. 4^2n-3= 16
This question I would apprectiate if someone could show how to work this out, as I seem to have no idea where to start. I would normally try and find something related to it on Google but have had no such luck. I don't really know where to look. Is there a specific name for the type of equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
I have been stuck on two question for sometime, and would appreciate some guidance to where I am going wrong. Here are the two questions I seem to have trouble understanding.

1. 2x+5 < x-1/4
I have had numerous attempts at this equation and seem to get the answer wrong each time. The book says the ans= - 3. Here a the two methods I have tried to get the correct answer:

first attempt: 2x+5 < x-1/4 = 2x-x > -1 -5 / 4 = x > -6 / 4

second attempt: 2x+5 < x-1/4 = 4(2x+5) < 4(x-1/4) = 8x+20 < 4x - 4/4 = 8x+20= x

8x-x+20=0 = 8x-x= 20 which I then simplify to x = 20/7. As you can properly tell I am not getting the right answer could some please set me straight.

2. 4^2n-3= 16
This question I would apprectiate if someone could show how to work this out, as I seem to have no idea where to start. I would normally try and find something related to it on Google but have had no such luck. I don't really know where to look. Is there a specific name for the type of equation?

2x+5<x-1/4
x<-20/4-1/4
x<-21/4

4(2x+5)<4(x-1/4)
8x -4x < -20-1

Your lack of brackets or LaTeX is both annoying and confusing.

For your first question, the answer [itex]x < -3 [/itex] only comes about if the equation is [itex]2x + 5 < \frac{x-1}{4}[/itex], so I'm assuming that's what it is. From your working, it's a bit confusing as to what equation you're trying to solve. Rewriting your working with brackets/LaTeX would make everything a lot clearer for us to understand.

Again, with your second question, it's ambiguous. Do you mean [itex]4^{2n} - 3= 16[/itex] pr [itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex]?

If it's [itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex], then that's easy to solve.

[itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex] and [itex]4^2 = 16[/itex], then [itex]2n-3=2[/itex].

If you meant [itex]4^{2n} - 3= 16[/itex], then that's a bit more complicated, have you used logarithms before?

acabus said:
Your lack of brackets or LaTeX is both annoying and confusing.

For your first question, the answer [itex]x < -3 [/itex] only comes about if the equation is [itex]2x + 5 < \frac{x-1}{4}[/itex], so I'm assuming that's what it is. From your working, it's a bit confusing as to what equation you're trying to solve. Rewriting your working with brackets/LaTeX would make everything a lot clearer for us to understand.

Again, with your second question, it's ambiguous. Do you mean [itex]4^{2n} - 3= 16[/itex] pr [itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex]?

If it's [itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex], then that's easy to solve.

[itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex] and [itex]4^2 = 16[/itex], then [itex]2n-3=2[/itex].

If you meant [itex]4^{2n} - 3= 16[/itex], then that's a bit more complicated, have you used logarithms before?

I will give it another go, the reason why I haven't put latex in is because I am having trouble with my browser, seems to screw it up. I do apologize and appreciate the help.

Here is my working out with the correct latex; hopefully.

First attempt:
2x + 5 < [itex]\frac{x-1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] x + 5 < [itex]\frac{-1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]

x < [itex]\frac{-6}{4}[/itex]

I only put the first attemp in because I think my second is completely wrong. I would like to know how this equations works out to be x = -3

The second equation is: 42n-3= 16. I don't understand where you get the 2n-3=2. How did you come to this answer, I understand if you simplify the equation you get, 2.5 which is the answer, but I don't understand where you go the equation from. Could you explain it in a step by step.

Last edited:
Taylor_1989 said:
Here is my working out with the correct latex; hopefully.First attempt:
[itex] 2x + 5 < \frac{x-1}{4} \rightarrow x + 5 < \frac{-1}{4} \rightarrow x < \frac{-6}{4}[/itex]

I only put the first attemp in because I think my second is completely wrong. I would like to know how this equations works out to be x = -3

The second equation is: [itex]4^{2n-3} = 16[/itex]. I don't understand where you get the 2n-3=2. How did you come to this answer, I understand if you simplify the equation you get, 2.5 which is the answer, but I don't understand where you go the equation from. Could you explain it in a step by step.

For the first equation, your first step is wrong. Where you've attempted to subtract [itex]x[/itex] from both sides, you've actually subtracted [itex]x[/itex] from the left side, but only [itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] from the left side. Adding, for example, 2 to a fraction, is not the same as adding 2 to the numerator of the fraction. In fact, your second attempt is almost right, except the final bit, the "[itex]=x[/itex]", I have no idea how you got to that. Redo it from [itex] 8x+20 < \frac{4x-4}{4} [/itex].

For the second equation, you have that 4 to the power of something is 16, or: [itex]4^x = 16[/itex]. Is it not obvious from this what [itex]x[/itex] is equal to? What power do you have to put 4 to, to get 16?

Right now I am complete lost. Could you show me how you would workout both problems, so I have something visual to look at. It would be big help. I still can't see where the 2n-3=2 comes from. I understand that 4^2=16 but the 2n-3=2 how dose it fit into the equation?

Taylor_1989 said:
Right now I am complete lost. Could you show me how you would workout both problems, so I have something visual to look at. It would be big help. I still can't see where the 2n-3=2 comes from. I understand that 4^2=16 but the 2n-3=2 how dose it fit into the equation?
We are not allowed to provide complete solutions. For your question, you know that [itex] 4^2 = 16. [/itex] We have [itex] 4^{2n-3} = 16. [/itex] So for what value of n will we get 2 as the exponent?

CAF123 said:
We are not allowed to provide complete solutions. For your question, you know that [itex] 4^2 = 16. [/itex] We have [itex] 4^{2n-3} = 16. [/itex] So for what value of n will we get 2 as the exponent?

Sorry I did not know. I think I get what you are saying. Am I right is working it out like this:

4^(2n-3)=16 so 4^(2n-3)=4^2, in the way I look is the 4=4 so they cancel out and you are left with: 2n-3=2 simplified is 2.5. Am I on the right train of thought.

I wouldn't describe the 4's as 'cancelling' out as such. In general, if we have [tex] a^x = a^y,[/tex] then [itex] x=y.[/itex] The base here, [itex] a [/itex] must be the same on both sides of the equation.

I see where you are coming from now. Thank for the help. I will give another look at the first equation and see if I can post in a better way. Once aging thanks.

I have now figured out the 1st equation. I don't know how I got that mixed up, some how I did. I would like to say thanks to everyone for there input.n

What is an algebra inequality?

An algebra inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is either less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other quantity.

How do you solve algebra inequalities?

To solve algebra inequalities, you need to follow the same rules as solving equations, but with one additional step. When you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number, you must flip the inequality symbol. Once you have isolated the variable, you can represent the solution on a number line to visualize the possible values.

What is an exponent in algebra?

An exponent in algebra is a small number written above and to the right of a number or variable, called the base. It represents the number of times the base is multiplied by itself. For example, in 23, 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent, meaning 2 is multiplied by itself 3 times, resulting in 8.

How do you simplify expressions with exponents?

To simplify expressions with exponents, you need to follow the rules of exponents. For example, when multiplying powers with the same base, you add the exponents. When dividing powers with the same base, you subtract the exponents. You can also use the power of a power rule, where you multiply the exponents. Keep simplifying until you have a single number or variable with no exponents left.

What is the difference between an algebraic expression and an algebraic inequality?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical phrase that contains variables, numbers, and operations, but no comparison symbols. It is used to represent a quantity or value. On the other hand, an algebraic inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using comparison symbols, and it represents a range of possible values. Inequalities are used to show relationships between quantities, whereas expressions are used to represent quantities.