Algebra problem involving work using specific heat ratio

In summary, the equation states that the specific heat ratio is equal to the difference in the volumes of two objects divided by the difference in the temperatures of the two objects.
gmaverick2k
NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE SUBMITTED TO NON-HOMEWORK FORUM

I'm stuck on substituting the following (where gamma is the specific heat ratio):
W=(P1v1 - P2v2) / (gamma-1)
P1v1^gamma = P2v2^gamma

substituting for v2... <= this is where I get stuck...
W = [(P1v1) / (gamma-1)] * [(P2 / P1)^((gamma-1)/gamma) -1]

How did it get from the bold to the final equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you haven't been able to figure out how to do the algebra?

Yes

gmaverick2k said:
Yes
OK. I'm going to move this to the Precalculus Math forum. I'm assuming that this is a homework problem. If so, in the future, please submit homework problems to one of the Homework forums, along with using the required template.

gmaverick2k said:

I'm stuck on substituting the following (where gamma is the specific heat ratio):
P1v1^gamma = P2v2^gamma

In your second equation in bold, is it ##P_1v_1^{\gamma} = P_2v_2^{\gamma}## (which is what you wrote) or did you mean ##(P_1v_1)^{\gamma} = (P_2v_2)^{\gamma}##? I'm not familiar enough with your equations to be sure that what you wrote is what you meant.

gmaverick2k said:
Yes
Can you please tell what is to be proved and what is given ? I can't figure out from our post.

Mark44 said:
In your second equation in bold, is it ##P_1v_1^{\gamma} = P_2v_2^{\gamma}## (which is what you wrote) or did you mean ##(P_1v_1)^{\gamma} = (P_2v_2)^{\gamma}##? I'm not familiar enough with your equations to be sure that what you wrote is what you meant.
It is correct as he has it written.

The first step is to factor out ##P_1V_1## from the term in parenthesis in the numerator.

Buffu said:
Can you please tell what is to be proved and what is given ? I can't figure out from our post.
It's from Coulson & Richardson Volume 4 problem 2.1... I'm confused with the algebra:
W = (P1*v1 - P2*v2) / (gamma-1)
P1*v1^gamma = P2*v2^gamma

upload_2017-3-10_17-39-51.png

gmaverick2k said:

P1v1^gamma = P2v2^gamma

##\left(\frac{v_2}{v_1}\right)^{\gamma}=\frac{P_1}{P_2}##
##\frac{v_2}{v_1}=\left(\frac{P_2}{P_1}\right)^{-\frac 1{\gamma}}##

Likes gmaverick2k
haruspex said:
##\left(\frac{v_2}{v_1}\right)^{\gamma}=\frac{P_1}{P_2}##
##\frac{v_2}{v_1}=\left(\frac{P_2}{P_1}\right)^{-\frac 1{\gamma}}##
Thanks

What is specific heat ratio?

Specific heat ratio, also known as heat capacity ratio or adiabatic index, is the ratio of the specific heat at a constant pressure to the specific heat at a constant volume. It is denoted by the symbol gamma (γ).

How is specific heat ratio used in algebra problems involving work?

In algebra problems involving work, specific heat ratio is used to calculate the amount of work done by a gas during a thermodynamic process. It is an important parameter in the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas.

What is the formula for calculating work using specific heat ratio?

The formula for calculating work using specific heat ratio is W = (γ / (γ-1)) * (P2V2 - P1V1), where W is the work done, γ is the specific heat ratio, and P and V represent the pressure and volume at the initial and final states, respectively.

Can specific heat ratio be negative?

No, specific heat ratio cannot be negative. It is a physical property of a substance and is always a positive value.

Are there any units for specific heat ratio?

Specific heat ratio is a unitless quantity, as it is a ratio of two specific heat values. However, it is often expressed in terms of its reciprocal, which has units of energy per mass per temperature.