1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Equation and Polytropic Constant

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given a initial and final pressure and temperature of an ideal gas to solve for the work done after it expans in a polytropic process (n=1.2)

2. Relevant equations
    W = integral of P*dV
    PV = nRT
    PV = RT*
    PV = mRT
    PV^n = Constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get W = integral of PdV = (P2V2 - P1V1)/(1-n)
    After this part my solutions are completely different than how I solved for work

Initially I thought, since PV = nRT I can just substitute it in and get W = (P2V2 - P1V1)/(1-n) = nR(T2-T1)/(1-n)
    but in the solution it solves for the volumes, using P1V1 =RT1
    This is where I have a bunch of questions...

I haven't been explained these equations too well in lectures so I've been reading my textbook but it doesn't explain anything on PV = RT. But I believe it's using molar volume
    I tried to solve for the initial volume using P1V1 = R*T1 which gave the correct value

But then I tried
    P2V2 = RT2 to get V2 and substituting it into the work equation which didn't seem to work out because the volume is different if I were to use P1V1^n = P2V2^n

I understand that this equation can be used for a polytropic process but I don't get why I can't use P2V2 = nRT2 to solve for the volume instead.

The process still involves an ideal gas, so how come when I use these two different equations my volume is different?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2
    I'm not sure about that, because I didn't comprehend your attempt completely, but are you aware, that the symbol "n" stands for two different values in the abovementioned equations?

What values did you use for R and n in your equations?

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    Yeah I sort of thought I didn't explain it properly. Anyway R would be teh gas constant, nitrogen was used so using the table it was about .2968 I believe.
    I don't really care about the values, I know it's not calculations. I just want to know what this formula is PV = RT, since there's no variable in front like the PV = nRT that I'm used to seeing.
    Secondly, when attempting to find a change in volume in a polytropic process... I'm asking why can't I use the common PV = nRT given the value of n. But rather I would have to use PV^n = Constant. Also I did not understand the values for n is different in the equations. Just because there's nothing distinguishing a difference between them.

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4
    Well that's the point:
    - the n in PV = nRT is the number of mols
    - the n in PV^n is the isentropic coefficient

they are completley different values it's just the same symbol

There are three common forms for the ideal gas equation:

p ⋅V = n ⋅ Rm ⋅ T ... with n is the mols and Rm is the gas constant in [J/(mol⋅K)] and the same valuefor each gas (Rm=8.314 J/(mol⋅K))
    p ⋅V = m ⋅ R ⋅ T ... with m is mass and R is the gas constant in [J/(kg⋅K)] and different for each gas
    p ⋅v = R ⋅ T ... with R is the gas constant in [J/(kg⋅K)] and different for each gas and v is the specific volume in [m3/kg] (= is the inverse value of the density: v = 1 / ρ)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted