1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic and Transcendental numbers proof

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let α be a transcendental number and β an algebraic number. Prove that α+β is transcendental.

3. The attempt at a solution

It's known that adding two algebraic numbers results in an algebraic number.

Since β is algebraic, it is a root of a polynomial with integer coefficients.

That is p(x)=Ʃbix^i i=0 to n, p(β)=0.

So,

p(x)= b+b1x1+b2x2+b3x3+...+b(n-1)xn-1+bnxn

I'm stuck, I'm not sure where to go from here...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    By contradiction. Assume the sum is algebraic.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Okay, assuming the sum is algebraic, that means the root of p(x) added to α will give me a number that can be expressed as a root of another polynomial. How would I proceed?

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4
    You have polynomial R(x) with integer coefficients whose root is α+β. Now consider R(x - β).

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    Would x represent any real number? I'm sorry, it's not really clicking with me...

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6
    Are you implying that I should take x=α+β? So that R(x-β) would be R(α+β-β)=R(α)?

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7
    x is the argument of the polynomial R(x - β). What do its coefficients look like?

9. Sep 27, 2012 #8
    R(x-β)=b0+b1(x-β)+b2(x-β)2+....+bn(x-β)n

But since β is a transcendental number, we can further distribute the bn coefficients right? So for b1(x-β)=b1x-b1β

10. Sep 27, 2012 #9
    β is algebraic according to your original post.

11. Sep 27, 2012 #10
    Oh yeah, sorry I made a mistake. It is algebraic, but I am still trying to figure out what this implies.

12. Sep 27, 2012 #11
    Are the coefficients of R(x - β) integer, rational, algebraic, transcendental? What does that mean with regard to its roots?

13. Sep 27, 2012 #12
    The coefficients are algebraic, and the roots must also be algebraic.

14. Sep 27, 2012 #13
    To prove the statement, you need to consider R(x + β) in the same way. Can you now connect all the pieces?

15. Sep 27, 2012 #14
    So, it R(x-β) and R(x+β) have algebraic coefficients then R(x) mus also have algebraic coefficients right?

16. Sep 27, 2012 #15
    R(x) is defined in #4. Its definition follows from the assumption that α+β is algebraic.

17. Sep 27, 2012 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You started by assuming that [itex]\alpha+ \beta[/itex] was algebraic so that it was a root of a polynomial equation [itex]R(x)= 0[/itex] where R is a polynomial with integer coefficients. There is no point is now saying that they must be algebraic!

18. Sep 27, 2012 #17
    I know that, I think I worded what I was trying to say wrong. I meant that algebraic coefficients yield algebraic roots. So R(x) would be a contradiction to this, or am I completely off?

19. Sep 27, 2012 #18
    R(x) does not contradict anything. You assume that ##\alpha + \beta ## is algebraic, so there must be a polynomial with integer coefficients it is a root of. This is R(x). Then you consider another polynomial, which is ##R(x + \beta) ##. ##\alpha ## obviously is its root. What does that mean, if ## \beta ## is algebraic?

20. Sep 27, 2012 #19
    Do you mean α is a root of R(x+β)? Sorry, I know the solution must be obvious and I'm totally missing it. I'm not really familiar with algebraic and transcendental numbers.

21. Sep 27, 2012 #20
    ## P(x) = R(x + \beta) ##. What coefficients does P have? What are its roots (algebraic, transcendental)? Is ## \alpha ## its root? Why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook