Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alien artifact found in Tunguska site

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1
    http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/08/10/tunguska.shtml

According to the Moscow News, the first ever debris of the object that exploded over Tunguska, Russia in 1908 has been recovered. The article says that a large black, metallic box has been found and has been sent to a lab for analysis.

Hmmm...neato.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Amazing that they would make such statements before running tests. It will probably turn out to be some remnant from a previous expedition. :frown:

4. Aug 11, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Russian media has been extremely unreliable in recent years. Well, I guess they always were unreliable but now they are a free and unreliable media. Even though this is not Pravda which should always be ignored, I always assume that no media source in the X-Soviet is reliable. If the international press picks up the story then things might get interesting.

5. Aug 12, 2004 #4
  6. Aug 12, 2004 #5
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  7. Aug 12, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Rusty Geiger counter?

8. Aug 12, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What use would the aliens have of a rusty Geiger counter?
    (And odds are against them calling it a "Geiger" counter anyway..

9. Aug 12, 2004 #8
  10. Aug 12, 2004 #9
    What's this "deer stone" thingy? Anyone ever heard of it?

11. Aug 12, 2004 #10
  12. Aug 12, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and still no picture. Don't Russian scientists have cameras?

I am going out on a limb and making a prediction - just for fun:
    I expect a long process of testing followed by claims and denials of positive [alien] laboratory results. Accusations of cover ups and fraud will create another internet and Art Bellian legend. The information will remain sketchy. Due to the intense secrecy surrounding the device no one will have access to it. Eventually some sucker will pay big bucks to purchase this secret technology.

Of course if it turns out that aliens really did save that planet from destruction in 1908, that would be neat. :biggrin:

13. Aug 12, 2004 #12

Evo

Then it will disappear, mysteriously, and no one will ever be able to prove or disprove what it was.

14. Aug 12, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Then it will disappear, mysteriously, and no one will ever be able to prove or disprove what it was."

Motive? Return on investment?

15. Aug 12, 2004 #14

Evo

Some 'collector" will pay millions to some corrupt official for it, and it will become a legend, the missing alien technology. :wink: Rumors of conspiracy and government coverup will run rampant on the internet, which of course PROVES it was the real thing. The Discovery Channel will do at least two documentaries on it. :biggrin:

16. Aug 12, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you like my new genre of literature; Bellian?

or

This story has a Bellian odor. :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  17. Aug 12, 2004 #16

Evo

I think you've coined a new phrase. :wink:

18. Aug 12, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Aug 13, 2004 #18
    From the MSNBC link just posted by Ivan:

"But Dutch space historian Geert Sassen suggests an earthly origin for the space fragments reportedly just found, and they could well have no connection with the 1908 event. "They might have found some parts of the fifth Vostok test flight," he told associates via e-mail.
    Sassen was referring to a flight on Dec. 22, 1960, meant to carry two dogs into space. According to "Challenge to Apollo," NASA's definitive history of the space race, "the payload landed about 3,500 kilometers downrange from the launch site in one of the most remote and inaccessible areas of Siberia, in the region of the Podkamennaya Tunguska River close to the impact point of the famed Tunguska meteorite."
    A team of space engineers located the capsule, disarmed the destruct system, and rescued the canine passengers.
    Natural explanations"

This supports my pet theory about what came down in Kecksburg, Ohio, in 1965: the soviet space craft, with occupant, that was launched a day or so before the crash. They never made ocean landings like we did, so their craft had to be much more durable. The dogs in the above story, you will notice, survived the crash landing on solid ground.

20. Aug 13, 2004 #19
    Also from the link just posted by Ivan:

"In 1978, the smoking gun of Soviet ufology was a "jellyfish" UFO that drifted through the skies of northwest Russia, zapping computers and panicking predawn witnesses."

This supports my pet theory that weird, purple jellyfish are behind everything peculiar that ever happens anywhere.

21. Aug 14, 2004 #20
    Is Evo the girl pictured in her profile? If so, I may have to join this witty exchange of predictions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?