1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aligning a laser with a single-mode fibre

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    Does anybody have any tips for doing this well? Frankly, I'm pretty terrible at it. I mean, once I get a small amount going through, I can do a little bit of optimisation by adjusting the angle of the fibre in one direction, and then adjusting the angle of the incident beam along the same plane to see if I can get better output, but at the moment I'm getting less than 2 nanowatts out the other end. This is down from about 15 nanowatts after I made some adjustments to the positions of some of the components, which is down from about 250 microwatts.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not clear what type of laser you are using, but when we did free-space connecting of a DPSS laser to a single-mode fiber, we needed a fair amount of positioning equipment to get (at best) 25% of the light in.

It's similar to spatial filtering- you focus the beam down with a lens (for fiber launching we tried a variety of ball lenses, grin lenses, aspheres- you should match the NA of the lens with the acceptance angle of the fiber) and align the (clean!) fiber end to the focused spot. There are 5 degrees of freedom to control- x,y,z, altitude, and azimuth. There are several companies that make pre-aligned mounting kits (we tried OZ Optics and OFR), but the coupling efficiency wasn't much better than our home-brewed setup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook