1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All eigenvalues zero => zero map

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    I want to prove that if all the eigenvalues of a linear transformation T : V --> V are zero, then T = 0. I think this is obvious but I'm having difficulty putting it into words.

If all the eigenvalues of T are zero, then there exists a basis B for V in which [itex][T]_B [/itex] is the zero matrix. Thus [itex][T(v)]_B=[T]^B_B[v]_B = 0\; \forall v \in V[/itex].

I think I should show that the matrix representation of T in an arbitrary basis D is zero. We have from second year linear algebra [itex][id]^B_D [T]^B_B [id]^D_B = [T]^D_D[/itex].
    Thus

[itex][T(v)]_D = [T]^D_D [v]_D = [id]^B_D [T]^B_B [id]^D_B [v]_B = 0[v]_D = 0[/itex].

But [itex]v \in V[/itex] is abritrary so [itex][T]^D_D [v]_D = 0 \; \forall [v]_D \in \mathbb{F}^n[/itex] where [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex] is the base field. Hence T = 0.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not a theorem! There are at least two ways this can fail:

This matrix over the reals has only one eigenvalue, 0. (It has 3 over the complexes, of course)
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 \\
    0 & 1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

This matrix over any field has only one eigenvalue, 0, of (algebraic) multiplicity 2.
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & 1 \\
    0 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the way, you don't have to deal with that "arbitrary basis" stuff.

The zero linear transformation from V to W is the linear transformation such that, for every v in V,
    Tv = 0.​

If you can find a basis so that the coordinate representation of T is the zero matrix, then it's easy to show that T is the zero transformation.

(Recall that two functions f and g are equal if and only if f(x) = g(x) for every input x)

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That doesn't look right: [itex][v]_D[/itex] and [itex][v]_B[/itex] are usually different.

Oh, but I think it's just a typo, because you switched back to [itex][v]_D[/itex] in the next expression.

You could have done the basis calculation in a shorter way:
    [tex]
    [T(v)]_D = [id]_D^B [T(v)]_B = [id]_D^B 0 = 0.
    [/tex]
    Other than your typo, I think you did the basis manipulations correctly.

6. Sep 29, 2007 #5
    Hi Hurkyl,

You're right, my theorem is a little bit too general.

Let T be an Hermitian linear operator.

Now I think it's okay.

And yes, that's a typo.

Btw, I don't see any other "easy" way to the proof based on what you said about equal functions.

7. Sep 29, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(caveat: this is only for finite-dimensional linear algebra. I'm not sure what generalizes properly to infinite dimensions)

That sounds fine; Hermitian matrices are diagonalizable over the reals, and I believe that is sufficient to prove your theorem. (BTW, you can do the proof by working directly with the diagonalized form!)

8. Sep 29, 2007 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Starting from
    For every v, [itex][T(v)]_B = 0 = [0]_B[/itex]​
    it follows that
    For every v, T(v) = 0
    and thus
    T = 0.​

9. Sep 29, 2007 #8
    Yeah, but to get from assumption to therefore you need what I said right? Like l said it's obvious.

10. Sep 29, 2007 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It follows simply because the coordinate representation is faithful:
    [tex]v = w \text{\ if and only if\ } [v]_B = [w]_B.[/tex]
    Of course, your way is correct too.

11. Sep 29, 2007 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*bonks self* I just realized this is exactly what you are doing when you said you could find a basis relative to which T's coordiante representation is the zero matrix!

12. Sep 29, 2007 #11
    Right, like saying [itex][\cdot]_B: V \to \mathbb{F}^n[/itex] is injective. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?