All integrable functions are continuous?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between differentiability, integrability, and continuity in functions. It is stated that all differentiable functions are integrable, but not all integrable functions are continuous. It is also noted that not all functions that can be differentiated are necessarily integrable. The concept of integrating piecewise functions is mentioned, as well as the difficulty in integrating functions like y = x^x. The conversation also references a section in the original post for more information.
Skomatth
I have a couple of true and false questions I'm looking at in order to review for my final next Friday (not tomorrow). First, when someone says that a function is continuous does that mean continuous on its domain or continuous at all reals? For example, tan(x) is continuous on its domain but not continuous at all reals so is tan(x) a continuous function?

1. All differentiable functions are integrable.
True because all differentiable functions are continuous and by FTC all continuous functions are integrable.

2. All integrable functions are continuous.
This doesn't follow from the FTC, but I'm having trouble thinking of a counter-example. I looked around on the web and saw a couple people say that this is false, but never explain why. Can you integrate piecewise functions? If so then I can think of an easy counter-example. We've never talked about doing so in class.

3. All integrable functions are differentiable.
Even though 1 is true this doesn't follow from it. Same difficulty as 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
A continuous function is continuous on its domain. Your intuition is right about 2 (not all integrable functions are continuous). Go back to the definitions to confirm this. By 1 and 2, the answer to 3 follows.

you can integrate piecewise functions by splitting the integral. ie

[tex]$\begin{array}{l}
f\left( x \right) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
5 \Leftarrow x < 0 \\
- 5 \Leftarrow x \ge 0 \\
\end{array} \right. \\
\int_{ - 1}^1 {f\left( x \right)dx} = \int_{ - 1}^0 {f\left( x \right)dx} + \int_0^1 {f\left( x \right)dx} = \left[ { - 5x} \right]_{ - 1}^0 + \left[ {5x} \right]_0^1 = 0 \\
\end{array}$
[/tex]

Are all functions that can be differentiated, integratable? It makes sense to think this, but what about something like y = x^x, you can diffentiate implictly, using logs.
lny = xlnx
then diffentiate this, but can y = x^x be integrated. I can't see how but I might be wrong.

Are all functions that can be differentiated, integratable?

See section 1 in the original post.

Are you talking in the generality of riemann sums?

1. What does it mean for a function to be integrable?

For a function to be integrable, it means that it can be represented by a definite integral. This means that the function has a well-defined area under its curve, and the integral can be used to calculate this area.

2. How is a function determined to be integrable?

A function is determined to be integrable if it satisfies the Riemann integral criteria. This means that the function must be bounded, have a finite number of discontinuities, and be defined on a closed interval. If a function meets these criteria, it can be integrated using the Riemann integral.

3. Is every continuous function integrable?

Yes, every continuous function is integrable. This is because continuity is a necessary condition for a function to be integrable. If a function is continuous, it is also bounded and has a finite number of discontinuities, which are both requirements for the Riemann integral.

4. What is the relationship between continuity and integrability?

The relationship between continuity and integrability is that continuity is a necessary condition for a function to be integrable. This means that if a function is continuous, it can be integrated using the Riemann integral. However, not all integrable functions are necessarily continuous. There are some discontinuous functions that are still integrable, as long as they satisfy the other criteria for the Riemann integral.

5. Can a function be integrable but not continuous?

Yes, a function can be integrable but not continuous. As mentioned before, continuity is a necessary condition for integrability, but it is not a sufficient condition. This means that while all continuous functions are integrable, there are some discontinuous functions that are still integrable as long as they meet the other criteria for the Riemann integral.