Allergies and smoking

1. I have a friend who has developed some really horrendous allergies lately, and it is my suspicion that it is because she is a heavy smoker (there is a correlation between when she started and the allergies). I can't find anything specific in my immuno textbook though. Can anyone refer me to any good articles or links? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what do you mean with allergies??

4. Are you asking what an allergic reaction is or what specifically alllergic reactions she is having?

5. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Allergic reactions are often mislabeled, so I am wondering what you mean with allergies that she is getting :)

6. facial swelling, rashes, swelling that affects breathing, abnormal sensitivity to sking irritation; etc. Benadryl slows/ stops all this temporarily.

7. adrenaline

adrenaline 274
    Science Advisor

It's not clear if your friend has had some sensitivities develop,non- allergic rhinitis or true allergies but if you want to look at how allergies can be related to smoking you can look at the pediatric population and the correlation with intrinsic asthma (felt to be allergic) and exposure to smoke.

Even when they are removed from what is an obvious extrinsic source of their asthma, these kids continue to have asthma their whole life, although how the exposure to second hand smoke affects their immunology, I don't know. A pediatric allergist might know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?