Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Allergies and smoking

1. Jan 18, 2004 #1
    I have a friend who has developed some really horrendous allergies lately, and it is my suspicion that it is because she is a heavy smoker (there is a correlation between when she started and the allergies). I can't find anything specific in my immuno textbook though. Can anyone refer me to any good articles or links? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what do you mean with allergies??

4. Jan 18, 2004 #3
    Are you asking what an allergic reaction is or what specifically alllergic reactions she is having?

5. Jan 18, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Allergic reactions are often mislabeled, so I am wondering what you mean with allergies that she is getting :)

6. Jan 18, 2004 #5
    facial swelling, rashes, swelling that affects breathing, abnormal sensitivity to sking irritation; etc. Benadryl slows/ stops all this temporarily.

7. Jan 19, 2004 #6

adrenaline

Science Advisor

It's not clear if your friend has had some sensitivities develop,non- allergic rhinitis or true allergies but if you want to look at how allergies can be related to smoking you can look at the pediatric population and the correlation with intrinsic asthma (felt to be allergic) and exposure to smoke.

Even when they are removed from what is an obvious extrinsic source of their asthma, these kids continue to have asthma their whole life, although how the exposure to second hand smoke affects their immunology, I don't know. A pediatric allergist might know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?