1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Allowed combinations of remaining quantum numbers when n = 3

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey everyone

I couldnt really fit a good description into the title. Basically here's what it is.

Consider an atom in which all the states with principal quantum number n = 3 and angular momentum quantum number l = 2 are occupied by electrons (this is called a closed subshell). List the allowed combinations of the remaining quantum numbers [itex]m,m_{s}[/itex] which are related to the eigenvalues of [itex]\hat{L}_{z},S_{z}[/itex]. Hence, how many electrons are in the n = 3, l = 2 closed subshell?

2. Relevant equations

Dont know of any

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont have a clue...need some help T_T

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    What's the spin of an electron? That determines the allowed values for ms. What's the thing that tells you what values m can take?

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    Spin of an electron is either +1/2 or -1/2...that's [itex]m_{s}[/itex] right? as far as [itex]m[/itex] goes, is that the one that ranges from -l to +l...so it has 2l+1 values right? I just dont get what all this has to do with the eigenvalues of [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] and [itex]S_{z}[/itex]...

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4
    So m is the eigenvalue corresponding to operator [itex] \hat{L}_z [/itex], and ms corresponds to [itex] \hat{S}_z [/itex].

You basically got it, now you just need to figure out which values can m and ms take together, and how many combinations there are.

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
    for m = 1/2:
    m = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

for m = -1/2
    m= -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

So total is 10 electrons...?

7. Dec 4, 2013 #6
    Yap that looks correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted