1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern physics, quantum numbers, subshells

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the terms of an atom whose last subshell is np³.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]M_L=\sum _i m_{l _i}[/itex]
    [itex]M_S=\sum _i m_{s _i}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor did the same exercise but with np². Basically he wrotes all the possible quantum numbers for the atom:
    1)[itex]m_l=1[/itex], [itex]m_s=1/2[/itex]. 2)[itex]m_l=0[/itex], [itex]m_s=1/2[/itex]. 3)[itex]m_l=-1[/itex], [itex]m_s=1/2[/itex]
    1')[itex]m_l=1[/itex], [itex]m_s=-1/2[/itex]. 2')[itex]m_l=0[/itex], [itex]m_s=-1/2[/itex]. 3')[itex]m_l=-1[/itex], [itex]m_s=-1/2[/itex]
    Then he calculated all the possible values for [itex]M_L[/itex] and [itex]M_S[/itex]. There are 15 values in total.
    After this, there is an obscure step to me (he counted I don't really know what) and went to the conclusion that the solution to the problem is [itex]^1 D ^3 P ^1 S[/itex]. Where the upper script is worth [itex]2S+1[/itex].
    So I did the same method as him for np³ (I guess this notation means that there are 3 electrons on the subshell p or an arbitrary n?). I got 20 values for [itex]M_L[/itex], [itex]M_S[/itex]. I'm stuck at doing the obscure step now. I have all possible values for [itex]M_L[/itex] and [itex]M_S[/itex].
    Can someone explain me what I should do next?
    Another question is... since n seems arbitrary, can I for example take [itex]n=1[/itex], so that [itex]l=0[/itex] and [itex]m_l=0[/itex]. My professor seems to have taken n=2 for some misterious reason to me. Does someone understand why?
    Edit: since there are at least 3 electrons I guess I cannot take n=1, since at least n=2. Ah... n must equal 2... ok that's what I considered, good. So I'm stuck where I pointed out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?