Analytically Solving Complex Expressions with Wolfram Alpha

In summary: But thanks for the hint!In summary, Wolframalpha can solve an equation like \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2+a^2} using a partial sum approach. However, higher order expressions will be more complicated to solve.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm noticing wolfram alpha has the amazing ability to analytically solve
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2 + a^2} [/tex]

Anyone know how to do this, and if it's also possible to deal with higher order guys (like it also can do 1/(n4+a2), but it's a way more complicated expression to the point where I'm staring at it wondering if it's actually a real number)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a real number. However I have no idea how to calculate it.

Office_Shredder said:
I'm noticing wolfram alpha has the amazing ability to analytically solve
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2 + a^2} [/tex]

Anyone know how to do this, and if it's also possible to deal with higher order guys (like it also can do 1/(n4+a2), but it's a way more complicated expression to the point where I'm staring at it wondering if it's actually a real number)

I'd split it into partial sums and then evaluate.

Hint:
##\frac{1}{n^2+a^2}=\frac{1}{(n+ai)(n-ai)}##, where i is the imaginary unit.

Higher order expressions will undoubtedly be a lot more complicated. Though, given n and a are real numbers, the sum will also be real, so they won't necessarily be more complex (heh. See what I did there? :-p).

Mandelbroth said:
Higher order expressions will undoubtedly be a lot more complicated. Though, given n and a are real numbers, the sum will also be real, so they won't necessarily be more complex (heh. See what I did there? :-p).

If you split it into two fractions of degree one neither of your series converge anymore.

By "wondering if it's a real number" I meant "gee wolfram alpha has a lot of 4th roots of -1 in that expression" not "I literally don't know if it's a real number"

dextercioby said:
This formula right here explains where the Wolframalpha result comes from

http://functions.wolfram.com/ElementaryFunctions/Coth/06/05/0001/

All you have to do now is to series expand the Coth function to get the RHS.

Oh wow that was easy. I was too busy approaching the problem from the wrong side of the equation. Thanks

It is actually not easy, not to me. I can't find a proof for the series expansion. :D

FAQ: Analytically Solving Complex Expressions with Wolfram Alpha

1. How can I use Wolfram Alpha to solve complex mathematical expressions?

Wolfram Alpha is a powerful computational engine that can solve complex mathematical expressions. Simply enter the expression into the search bar and Wolfram Alpha will provide a step-by-step solution with detailed explanations and graphs, if applicable.

2. Can Wolfram Alpha solve equations with multiple variables?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can solve equations with multiple variables. However, it is important to properly define the variables and use the correct syntax. You can also specify any known values for the variables to get a more accurate solution.

3. Does Wolfram Alpha provide solutions to both real and complex numbers?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can provide solutions for both real and complex numbers. It can handle a wide range of mathematical functions and operations, including complex numbers, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

4. How accurate are the solutions provided by Wolfram Alpha?

Wolfram Alpha uses advanced algorithms and mathematical techniques to provide accurate solutions. However, it is always important to double-check the results and make sure the input is correct.

5. Is it possible to export the solutions from Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha allows you to export the solutions in various formats, such as PDF, image, or plain text. This can be useful for saving the solutions for future reference or for sharing with others.