Alternate derivation of general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a pseudo Riemann manifold with Lorentz metric through local rescaling of c. The discussion also mentions Weyl's theory and Einstein's realization that this would cause clocks to depend on their history, contradicting the existence of stable atomic spectra. The referenced source, Chapter 4 of Blagojević's book, delves deeper into this topic. The conversation also mentions a related article on the early history of gauge theories and Kaluza-Klein theories.
Phrak
Would a pseudo Riemann manifold with Lorentz metric be obtained upon local rescaling of c?

Physics news on Phys.org
(In retrospect, I really should have put a large question mark in thread title.)

How do you come up with this stuff, atyy? More than once you've come up with a useful source or pdf that I've downloaded or marked.

But, I can't view the contents of Ch. 4, so I can't tell if the author discusses it. Care to clue me in?

There's probable some very simple explanation of why rescaling c doesn't work though.

Phrak said:
(In retrospect, I really should have put a large question mark in thread title.)

How do you come up with this stuff, atyy? More than once you've come up with a useful source or pdf that I've downloaded or marked.

But, I can't view the contents of Ch. 4, so I can't tell if the author discusses it. Care to clue me in?

There's probable some very simple explanation of why rescaling c doesn't work though.

Does this work any better (I think it's a link to Ch 4 directly)? http://books.google.com/books?id=N8JDSi_eNbwC&printsec=frontcover#PPA78,M1

Apparently if you impose allow a "scale" recalibration of the metric from point to point, only the curl of the scale is observable, which made Weyl think it could be the electromagnetic vector potential. According to this article, Einstein realized this would make clocks depend on their history, in contradiction to the existence of stable atomic spectra. Hmmm, is that really known to be true?

Early History of Gauge Theories and Kaluza-Klein Theories, with a Glance at Recent Developments
Lochlain O'Raifeartaigh, Norbert Straumann
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9810524

1. What is the alternate derivation of general relativity?

The alternate derivation of general relativity is a mathematical approach used to explain the theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It involves using the principles of special relativity and the mathematical framework of tensors to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.

2. How is the alternate derivation different from the traditional derivation?

The traditional derivation of general relativity uses the equations of motion and the equivalence principle to describe the behavior of gravity. The alternate derivation, on the other hand, uses a more geometric approach and is based on the concept of spacetime curvature.

3. What is the significance of the alternate derivation of general relativity?

The alternate derivation provides a deeper understanding of the theory of general relativity and its implications for the behavior of gravitational fields. It also allows for a more elegant and concise mathematical description of gravity.

4. Are there any experimental evidence to support the alternate derivation?

Yes, there have been numerous experimental tests and observations that support the predictions of general relativity derived from the alternate approach. These include the gravitational redshift, the bending of light near massive objects, and the precession of Mercury's orbit.

5. How does the alternate derivation impact our understanding of the universe?

The alternate derivation of general relativity has significantly influenced our understanding of the universe, particularly in the fields of cosmology and astrophysics. It has helped us explain phenomena such as the expansion of the universe, the formation of galaxies, and the behavior of black holes.