1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternating current : Solving for low-pass filter

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q] The figure below shows a typical circuit for a low-pass filter. An AC input [itex]V_i~=~10~mV[/itex] is applied at the left end and the output [itex]V_o[/itex] is received at the right end. Find the output voltage as a function of [itex]\nu~(\textrm{frequency})[/itex]

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

well.. maybe:

[tex]
    Z = \sqrt{R^2 + (X^2_C - X^2_L)}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    i = i_o sin(\omega t + \phi)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \phi = tan^{-1}\left(\frac{X_C - X_L}{R}\right)
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well.. i'm just thinking that the voltage across the capacitor will be the output voltage. I found out the current in the circuit using the equations and it is coming to be:

[tex]
    i = i_o sin\left(\omega t + tan^{-1}\left(\frac{10^6}{2\pi \nu}\right)\right)
    [/tex]

This is the current in the first loop. I thought of using Kirchoff's law first.. but i have no idea how to do this in this case as the current will split at the resistor-capacitor junction.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    I think you can assume that the output will be connected to a very high resistance (such as an oscilloscope), so there's no current going into the output.

You know how to express the impedance of R, C and the input voltage as complex numbers? then the circuit is just a voltage divider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?