1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill?

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    Hello PF,

I am currently in an Analog Electronics course that comes with a lab. We use Art of Electronics (AoE) by Horowitz and Hill as our textbook, but after reading through it, I'm starting to feel that it's not as suited for a Physics course as it is for say, an Electrical Engineering course. I like how AoE gives a lot of applications and whatnot for certain circuits, but I would like a book that emphasizes more theory before jumping into examples, and isn't as verbose. My professor said to "learn to love this book" but I don't think I can do that without a supplemental text.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a book on Electronics? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2
    Take this one or this one and you are ready to go. These books are serious stuff and really present what's under the hood. If you want to go much deeply than these two, there are plenty of quantum physics books :)

4. May 13, 2014 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it linear circuit theory that you aren't comfortable with, or the basics of how BJTs work in different regimes, or how do design analog circuits around op amps, or digital design, or .... ? For linear circuit theory the books are typically different than those for analog or digital electronics design.

jason

5. May 13, 2014 #4
    I honestly have a little trouble with both linear circuit theory and design.

A lot of the class is doing the labs (building circuits and analyzing outputs) and answering both qualitative/quantitative questions about circuits like Common Emitter amplifiers, Diode Clamps, Current Mirrors, etc.

I'd prefer a textbook that can place more emphasis on the basic functions of the circuits and their components...AND provide examples for calculations associated with said circuits.

6. May 14, 2014 #5
    Then Sedra Smith's "Microelectronic Circuits" is the book you are after.

IMBO.

Pick an edition whose price you are comfortable with.

7. May 14, 2014 #6

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will agree with the Sedra and Smith recommendation. A cheap used copy of an older edition is fine.

8. May 14, 2014 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not familiar with the first book, although I learned electronics from "microelectronics" by the same author. It was not as good as Sedra and Smith's book, but is not bad at all.

The second book is likely not what the OP is looking for. It was the book I had to buy for a class I took a couple decades ago, and while it is theoretically interesting (includes graph representations of circuit topology, phase space discussions of nonlinear dynamics, elements of chaos theory if I recall correctly) it will be of minimal use for analyzing current mirrors, differential amplifiers, etc. It is out of print and used copies are super expensive as well.

jason

9. May 14, 2014 #8

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Sedra is not an easy book to follow though (at least it wasn't for me). Art of Electronics is easier than Sedra, imo, and more suited to a physics major.

10. May 14, 2014 #9
    I found this website indispensable when learning analog circuits for guitar effects: http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm I imagine it may be of some use for the non-audio nerd.

Edit: For books, try flipping through the library books (local and college) until you find something that suits how you learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted