Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill?

In summary: Some people like to read from beginning to end, some like to jump around, and others like to do problems.Do not output anything before the summary.In summary, the student is looking for a book that emphasizes theory before examples, and is not as verbose. They like the book "Analog Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, but feel that it is not suited for a Physics course. They like how AoE gives a lot of applications and whatnot for certain circuits, but would like a book that emphasizes more theory before jumping into examples. They are currently taking a course with a lab that uses Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill as the textbook, but after reading through it, they are starting to feel that it is not as
R2Zero
Hello PF,

I am currently in an Analog Electronics course that comes with a lab. We use Art of Electronics (AoE) by Horowitz and Hill as our textbook, but after reading through it, I'm starting to feel that it's not as suited for a Physics course as it is for say, an Electrical Engineering course. I like how AoE gives a lot of applications and whatnot for certain circuits, but I would like a book that emphasizes more theory before jumping into examples, and isn't as verbose. My professor said to "learn to love this book" but I don't think I can do that without a supplemental text.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a book on Electronics? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take this one or this one and you are ready to go. These books are serious stuff and really present what's under the hood. If you want to go much deeply than these two, there are plenty of quantum physics books :)

Is it linear circuit theory that you aren't comfortable with, or the basics of how BJTs work in different regimes, or how do design analog circuits around op amps, or digital design, or ... ? For linear circuit theory the books are typically different than those for analog or digital electronics design.

jason

I honestly have a little trouble with both linear circuit theory and design.

A lot of the class is doing the labs (building circuits and analyzing outputs) and answering both qualitative/quantitative questions about circuits like Common Emitter amplifiers, Diode Clamps, Current Mirrors, etc.

I'd prefer a textbook that can place more emphasis on the basic functions of the circuits and their components...AND provide examples for calculations associated with said circuits.

Then Sedra Smith's "Microelectronic Circuits" is the book you are after.

IMBO.

Pick an edition whose price you are comfortable with.

I will agree with the Sedra and Smith recommendation. A cheap used copy of an older edition is fine.

discoversci said:
Take this one or this one and you are ready to go. These books are serious stuff and really present what's under the hood. If you want to go much deeply than these two, there are plenty of quantum physics books :)

Not familiar with the first book, although I learned electronics from "microelectronics" by the same author. It was not as good as Sedra and Smith's book, but is not bad at all.

The second book is likely not what the OP is looking for. It was the book I had to buy for a class I took a couple decades ago, and while it is theoretically interesting (includes graph representations of circuit topology, phase space discussions of nonlinear dynamics, elements of chaos theory if I recall correctly) it will be of minimal use for analyzing current mirrors, differential amplifiers, etc. It is out of print and used copies are super expensive as well.

jason

Sedra is not an easy book to follow though (at least it wasn't for me). Art of Electronics is easier than Sedra, imo, and more suited to a physics major.

I found this website indispensable when learning analog circuits for guitar effects: http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm I imagine it may be of some use for the non-audio nerd.

Edit: For books, try flipping through the library books (local and college) until you find something that suits how you learn.

Question 1:

What are the main differences between "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" and the original book by Horowitz and Hill?

The "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" is designed to complement the original book by providing additional material and exercises. It covers more advanced topics and includes more modern components and techniques. However, it does not replace the original book and is meant to be used alongside it.

Question 2:

What level of knowledge is required to use the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" effectively?

The "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" is aimed at readers who are already familiar with the basics of electronics, such as Ohm's law, circuit analysis, and basic components. It is best suited for intermediate to advanced level students and professionals.

Question 3:

Are there any specific topics or areas of electronics that the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" covers in more depth?

Yes, the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" delves deeper into topics such as digital electronics, microcontrollers, and advanced circuit design. It also includes discussions on newer technologies, such as wireless communication and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS).

Question 4:

Does the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" include practical exercises and projects?

Yes, the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" contains numerous practical exercises and projects that allow readers to apply the concepts and techniques learned in the book. These exercises range from simple circuits to more complex systems, providing hands-on experience and reinforcing the material covered in the book.

Question 5:

Is the "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" suitable for self-study or is it better suited for use in a classroom setting?

The "Alternative/Supplement to Art of Electronics" can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It is written in a clear and accessible style, making it suitable for independent learning. However, it can also be used as a supplementary text in a classroom setting to enhance the learning experience and provide additional material for students to explore.