1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Need a book recommendation [electronics]

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    Hello

I have taken a language test few days ago and in case I pass it I will get enrolled in an electrical engineering program in Germany. I have no prior knowledge/experience in electronics at all and am thinking about doing something about this before I enroll.
    What do you think about the book The art of electronics by Paul Horowitz. Do you think it's a good introduction to circuits and electronics ? There are two versions of this book, the other one is called Learning the art of electronics. What book do you think best suits my need ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    The "art" books for sure are not for you. Not for complete beginners. If I rememberer correctly in Germany you have a "similar" book to the "art" book the Halbleiter-Schaltungstechnik U. Tietze, Ch. Schenk I have the Polish edition on my shelf.

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The Art of Electronics is one of my favorite basic electronics books. I like the practical approach they take, and the sections on Circuit Ideas and Bad Circuits. I wish I had read the book cover-to-cover before starting my EE degree -- it would have been a great head start. :smile:

I's also recommend that you build a few electronics kits early-on in your education. Building real circuits helps you learn better questions to ask in your schoolwork, in my experience.

I'm no help on the different versions of the book, though. Sorry.

6. Aug 31, 2016 #5
    The Art of Electronics is the textbook written by Horowitz and Hill.
    Learning the Art of Electronics is a workbook / activities collection / addition to the textbook. Think "exercises" with solutions and suggestions.

As for the books, it very much depends what branch of EE are you pursuing. Microelectronics? Razavi; Digital Electronics? Still Razavi, but the other one (you'll see :-) ); general electronics? Sedra Smith. Device electronics? Pierret. Want an old classic? Millman (comes in four flavors: devices, analog mostly, digital mostly, just the circuits). The list is endless... these are the simplest.

Perhaps you should follow the advice above and have a look at Tietze. It's made in Germany, it might be tailored for German EE courses.

7. Sep 29, 2016 #6
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted