Textbook for Classical Mechanics

In summary, after reading Kleppner Kolenkow Mechanics, you can read Symon's Mechanics, Fowles, Marion&Thornton, or any other book in between. After that, you should read Goldstein, Landau and Arnold's book.
ATR
I am self studying Classical Mechanics and I am a bit confused about this. After reading Kleppner Kolenkow Mechanics can I read Symon's Mechanics or do I need to read anything in between like Fowels or Marion&Thornton? I already studied the Maths portion upto Multivariable Calculus,Real Analysis, Vector Analysis ODE and also PDE, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra. Just confused about the Physics. The books must follow a order so that I can really go deep into the conceptual part of Physics and problem solving also.
Then I want to read Goldstein, Landau and Arnold's book.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
ATR.

Physics news on Phys.org
ATR said:
After reading Kleppner Kolenkow Mechanics can I read Symon's Mechanics or do I need to read anything in between like Fowels or Marion&Thornton?
Symon, Fowles & Cassiday and Marion & Thornton are at a similar level level (upper-level undergraduate), so you can use any of them after Kleppner & Kolenkow. It's basically a matter of personal preference.

I never taught that course myself, but a colleague used Marion & Thornton for many years. When I was an undergraduate, I used Fowles (an old edition before Cassiday came along), but that was long enough ago that I really don't remember much about it.

Thanks, but from my experience, Symon is a bit more advanced than the other two.

Also after Symon, I am planning to read Goldstein and then Landau or Arnold's book. Will Finn's Classical Mechanics be a good substitute for Goldstein? Or is Goldstein better? What I want is a typical textbook like treatment(but it should be clear, concise, conceptual and should have a collection of good problems) of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian.

Thanks.
ATR

Why Goldstein with its misleading treatment of anholonomous constraints (who knows what else is flawed). Landau&Lifshitz is very good. As all the volumes it treats the physics straight to the point. Arnold is about another subject, namely mathematical physics, and for that it's the best book concerning classical mechanics.

What about Finn's Classical Mechanics?

I haven't read Finn's book yet, but when I took Theoretical Mechanics (upper level of Classical Mechanics) course, my exercises-teacher (different from theory-teacher) told us to read and do exercises in Landau, Calkin and Finn's book, because they were very good books, but I just read Landau on theory class and did exercises in Calkin and Goldstein book, didn't have enough time to read Finn. So, just give it a try if you have enough time, the more that you read, the more things you will know ^^
And I see that you've asked about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian, that's Theoretical Mechanics. For Theoretical Mechanics, I recommend you to read some books (just recommend, it depends on you, your teacher, and maybe members in this 4rum):
1. Landau, one of the most famous book in this field. Concise, sometimes you will scratch your head all day long because you don't know why he could have this result. :headbang::headbang::headbang: Then your teacher comes up and everything will be ok :bow:
2. Goldstein. For me, it's easier than Landau, but still hard, need time and effort.
3. Walter Greiner. He has written a lot of books from classical to modern, and he has written 2 books about classical mechanics, but I recommend you to read the one called Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics
4. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics by M.G.Calkin. Nice and well-written book, most of my exercises were taken from this book
5. Analytical Mechanics by Hand & Finch. For me it's well-written too, but I see that it is not appreciated on Amazon
6. V.I.Arnold. It's hard for me but it will be ok if you have a very good mathematical background. :confused::confused::confused:
Whatever books you read, you still need to spend a lot of time and effort.
Good luck and try your best :wink:

Likes smodak
Thanks to all.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of physical objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Who is the target audience for a textbook on classical mechanics?

A textbook on classical mechanics is typically aimed at undergraduate students in physics, engineering, or related fields. It can also be useful for graduate students or researchers who need a refresher on the principles and applications of classical mechanics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a textbook for classical mechanics?

A textbook for classical mechanics will typically cover topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, rotational motion, oscillations, and gravitation. It may also include discussions on topics like fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and special relativity.

4. How can I use a textbook for classical mechanics in my studies?

A textbook for classical mechanics can serve as a comprehensive guide to understanding the fundamental principles and applications of classical mechanics. It can also provide practice problems and examples to help improve problem-solving skills and prepare for exams.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks for studying classical mechanics?

Some popular textbooks for studying classical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. It is recommended to consult with your instructor or peers to find the best textbook for your specific course or study needs.