Installing Java Development Kit: Am I Doing it Right?

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about downloading JDK (Java Development Kit) and navigating through the different programs and tools available. The person asks for guidance on where to compile and run Java, and the conversation ends with a suggestion to use tutorials instead of constantly asking for answers. Professional programmers also tend to use tools like NetBeans or Eclipse instead of build scripts.
Math10
I just downloaded JDK (Java Development Kit) from http://java-development-kit-jdk.en.softonic.com/ but after downloading, when I click on the start menu and click on the All Programs, I have Java and Java Development Kit. And when I click on JDK, it has Java Mission Control and Reference Documentation. Am I doing this right? Where do I compile and run Java?

Technology news on Phys.org
There are two command java for running programs and javac for compiling programs

the next level is to construct an ant script or a maven script. These are build tools that people use to make consistent builds
as they develop their project with many java classes.

but professional programmers tire of these and move quickly to using netbeans or eclipse.

My feeling is you should be looking for tutorials via google and working though them instead of constantly asking
questions and cherrypicking the answers.

jedishrfu said:
My feeling is you should be looking for tutorials via google and working though them instead of constantly asking
questions and cherrypicking the answers.
And my feeling as well. With that, this thread is closed.

1. What is the Java Development Kit (JDK)?

The Java Development Kit (JDK) is a software development environment that provides the necessary tools and libraries for developers to create Java applications. It includes a Java compiler, a runtime environment (JRE), and other development tools.

2. How do I install the JDK on my computer?

To install the JDK on your computer, you can follow these steps:

• Go to the Oracle website and download the JDK installer for your operating system.
  • Run the installer and follow the prompts to complete the installation process.
  • Once the installation is complete, set the JDK installation directory as the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

3. Is it necessary to install the JRE before installing the JDK?

No, it is not necessary to install the JRE before installing the JDK. The JDK includes the JRE, so you do not need to install it separately. However, if you only want to run Java applications and not develop them, you can just install the JRE.

4. How do I check if the JDK is installed correctly?

To check if the JDK is installed correctly, you can open a command prompt or terminal and type java -version. This will display the version of Java that is currently installed on your system. If you see the version number, then the JDK is installed correctly.

5. Can I have multiple versions of the JDK installed on my computer?

Yes, you can have multiple versions of the JDK installed on your computer. However, you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the installation directory of the JDK version you want to use.