Am I missing out by not writing the energy balance?

• Thread starter civilengoo
  • Start date
Problem Statement
Been studying for this thermo exam I've got coming up and I think I've been studying it all the wrong way and I could make my life a whole lot easier if I used energy balances, but I just don't understand them and how to write them! Would somebody be able to fully explain to me how to write these energy balances out and then how to simplify it down? Example question below https://imgur.com/MOvnLX6
Relevant Equations
Energy Balance for thermodynamics
Attempt:
No clue what equations to use from here.

Attachments

I could make my life a whole lot easier if I used energy balances, but I just don't understand them and how to write them!
No clue what equations to use from here
Isn't the basic idea that energy in has to equal energy out, since energy can't be destroyed?

Please take your best shot at it so far. What can you show us?

No clue what equations to use from here.
In this case, the turbine is an example of a steady flow device, so it would be worth trying to use the 'steady flow energy equation' (at its core, it is a conservation of energy equation).

In this case, the turbine is an example of a steady flow device, so it would be worth trying to use the 'steady flow energy equation' (at its core, it is a conservation of energy equation).
OK so far. So let's see what you do next.