1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AM waveform in frequency domain

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hello, I need to sketch the frequency domain for the following AM waveform showing total bandwidth and frequency.
    8sin(2pi500kt - 4cos(2pi530kt) + 4cos(2pi(470kt)

I have attached an attempt I have made.
    Does anyone know if I have this correct or not ?

Thanks kindly for any input.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What does that "k" mean in cos(2pi530kt)?

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    sorry I dont know what that is referring to. We were not told.

Do you think I have the frequency domain sketch correct based on what we do know?

Thanks for your help.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, I can't give an authoritative answer. But I'm wondering whether you might be meant to label the frequencies as 500k, 503k, etc., that k seems to be some scaling factor. Are you sure it's not meant to be x103 and you have changed it to a k?

Also, perhaps someone else can confirm that the vertical axis is okay as the peak value. I'm just wondering whether it should be RMS. Can you refer back to an example in your notes to confirm that peak voltage is what you need to use here? (I've forgotten.) https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook