Amateur radio + frequency measurements

• Thread starter JamesGoh
  • Start date
For an exam Im studying for, I have to understand the effect of measurement tolerance, calibration accuracy and time-related drift on frequency measurements.

Im aware that the time-related drift is due to the oscillator frequency becoming less accurate (due to continuous crystal vibration), however Im not sure about measurement tolerance and calibration accuracy.

Does measurement tolerance refer to a tolerated frequency range the ideal frequency measurement falls around ? (e.g say if I wanted to get an ideal reading of 9Hz and instead I get 8Hz, I would take 8Hz)

Im guessing that calibration accuracy would refer to how well the equipment has been calibrated to generate or measure a frequency (e.g. how well a crystal has been carved to generate a resonant frequency) ?

thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
For an exam Im studying for, I have to understand the effect of measurement tolerance, calibration accuracy and time-related drift on frequency measurements.

Im aware that the time-related drift is due to the oscillator frequency becoming less accurate (due to continuous crystal vibration), however Im not sure about measurement tolerance and calibration accuracy.

Does measurement tolerance refer to a tolerated frequency range the ideal frequency measurement falls around ? (e.g say if I wanted to get an ideal reading of 9Hz and instead I get 8Hz, I would take 8Hz)

Im guessing that calibration accuracy would refer to how well the equipment has been calibrated to generate or measure a frequency (e.g. how well a crystal has been carved to generate a resonant frequency) ?

thanks in advance
There is a lot of information available about initial crystal oscillator accuracy (over temperature, etc.), and the effects of aging. The wikipedia article is pretty good, and this is a good survey paper:

https://www.semtech.com/uploads/documents/xo_precision_std.pdf