cronxeh said:
So I did a little search and I can't seem to find any threads regarding amateur radio. Is anyone a ham out there and what frequencies do you lurk at and where? I'm a new ham, don't know why I decided to get into it but timing seems to be about right with new radios like Yaesu VX-8R and many other portable and powerful radios appearing on the market. I am in New York but it seems there aren't that many interesting conversations happening on local repeaters.
Are your interests more in local emergency preparedness group communications, or in long-distance round-the-world chatting and contesting?
My main interest is in the former (which you can probably tell by my footer), so I mainly stay on the 2m and 70cm bands.
The best thing you can do as a new HAM, IMO, is to find some weekly practice Nets, and participate in the check-ins. Our weekly Net is described at the website I list in my footer. You can use the ARRL.org website to find your local repeaters (or just scan around). When you get a chance, and the repeater goes quiet for a bit, you can just say, "This is <callsign>, and I was looking for information about local practice Nets. Can anyone help me out with that info?" Most likely you will get folks that come back with info on which nights and which repeaters are used, and maybe which clubs sponsor the Nets. Usually you can then find websites with info on those Nets, including the Net Control Script, which is what they are reading as the Net is conducted.
Checking into your local weekly practice Nets is a good way to get comfortable with your radio, and how to talk well on the radio. You can also ask about local training classes for new HAMs, where you can go and learn a lot more about the best ways to use the bands and the radios.
Then, after you are more comfortable, check out some of the big public events in your area (like the New York Marathon?) -- they are often looking for HAM radio volunteers to help with event communication tasks. One of the events that I do each year as a combination EMT and HAM is the "Tour de Max" bicycle ride that starts and ends in Palo Alto, and benefits the Lance Armstrong Cancer Research Foundations. We have to use a pretty complex combination of repeaters (including a human Relay/Repeater station) to be able to talk to all the SAG wagons down in the canyons out toward the ocean, where some of the ride is routed. GREAT practice for complex HAM communication events, er, like the next big earthquake that's unfortunately coming soon to a fault line near me...
Post more questions if you have them. This could be a fun thread. 73, KI6EGL