Exploring the Analogy between Liquid Crystals & Cosmic Strings

In summary, the article discusses a liquid crystal medium with a topological defect and how light propagating through it perceives an effective geometry similar to that of a cosmic string spacetime. The concept of string dimensions is also mentioned and how it relates to the arrangement of pixels on a screen. The article suggests that recognizing the presence of string dimensions in nature is crucial for further progress.
s3nn0c
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0509091

A liquid crystal analogue of the cosmic string

"We consider the propagation of light in a anisotropic medium with a topological line defect in the realm of geometrical optics. It is shown that the effective geometry perceived by light propagating in such medium is that of a spatial section of the cosmic string spacetime."

Sorry for so many links lately, but this analogy is really amazing and in my opinion it's worth to discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
I knew it! This is all just a crazy hologram. We're trapped in the Matrix. :cool:

s3nn0c said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0509091

A liquid crystal analogue of the cosmic string

"We consider the propagation of light in a anisotropic medium with a topological line defect in the realm of geometrical optics. It is shown that the effective geometry perceived by light propagating in such medium is that of a spatial section of the cosmic string spacetime."

Sorry for so many links lately, but this analogy is really amazing and in my opinion it's worth to discuss.

Those images, a and b, look a lot like the images on any TV screen. Look at the screen you are viewing. The V in TV is made of flakes that look a lot like the flakes in the illustrations.

Those unusual looking flakes are caused by the fact that a screen is made of pixels, each separated by a distance. These would be "string points" in my terminology, which can only be arranged in a certain way. On my screen, the pixels are arranged in a square pattern, and they can only produce solid lines in two directions, vertical and sideways. The T has a solid line vertical and sideways on a liquid crystal screen, like this computer screen. But the V is made of flakes, just like the illustrations in the PDF article

It is easy to say this screen of pixels has only two directions that become two underlying dimensions. It is dumb to say I don't understand; but I couldn't make heads or tails of the article, although a lot of it seemed strangely familiar. Maybe it was talking about my own concept of string dimensions.

There are a lot of places in nature where string dimensions seem to become evident. We can talk about that.

I say that all space is made of individual points arranged in a certain way, and that some things in electromagnetic waves have to follow the arrangement of the points of space. This article seems to be saying something like that, too.

Seeing the physical evidence of string dimensions is the key to making the next big step.

Last edited:

1. What are liquid crystals and cosmic strings?

Liquid crystals are materials that have properties of both liquids and solids, meaning they have a fixed volume but can flow like a liquid. Cosmic strings, on the other hand, are hypothetical one-dimensional topological defects in the fabric of spacetime.

2. What is the analogy between liquid crystals and cosmic strings?

The analogy between liquid crystals and cosmic strings lies in the fact that both exhibit similar properties of symmetry breaking and phase transitions. Just as liquid crystals can change from a disordered state to an ordered state, cosmic strings can undergo a phase transition from a high-energy state to a low-energy state.

3. How are liquid crystals and cosmic strings studied?

Liquid crystals can be studied through various techniques such as optical microscopy and X-ray diffraction, while cosmic strings can be studied through their gravitational effects on surrounding matter and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What is the significance of exploring the analogy between liquid crystals and cosmic strings?

Studying the analogy between these two systems can provide insights into the behavior of matter on different length scales, from microscopic to cosmic. It can also help us better understand the early universe and its evolution.

5. Is there any evidence supporting the analogy between liquid crystals and cosmic strings?

While there is no direct evidence, there have been theoretical studies and simulations that suggest similarities between the two systems. Further research and observations are needed to fully confirm the analogy.