How to Tackle Ambiguous Test Questions from a Challenging Professor?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation revolves around strategies for dealing with oddly worded questions on exams and the purpose of these questions. The participants discuss potential solutions and share their experiences with similar situations. Examples are given, including a professor who purposely includes difficult questions to distinguish between top students and the rest. The conversation also touches on the importance of asking for clarification and the subjectivity of interpreting questions.
member 392791
Do you guys have any strategies to deal with these? It seems that my professor will put oddly worded questions on the exam as a way of weeding out the B's from the A's, and these throw me off, as well as other questions that are very challenging with the same purpose. When I say challenging, his words are ''with what I presented to you in class, you would not be able to answer this question''.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ambiguous or just oddly worded?

If they're blatantly ambiguous I'd complain to someone..

Can't really do much, even if you're going to complain you better hope everyone else is complaining or clearly it will look like you haven't studied.

Professors putting oddly-worded questions in exams shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Woopydalan said:
Do you guys have any strategies to deal with these? It seems that my professor will put oddly worded questions on the exam as a way of weeding out the A's from the B's, and these throw me off, as well as other questions that are very challenging with the same purpose.

Maybe you could write on the test "I don't know what you mean", but that might not go down well...

I've pointed out such things to teachers in the past and almost always been ignored. Even when they have agreed with me they refuse to reword the question. I think the whole point is they insist you think like they do just as some people insist everyone adopt their private definitions for words.

My solution is: avoid their other courses. 100% effective (when possible).

Woopydalan said:
Do you guys have any strategies to deal with these? It seems that my professor will put oddly worded questions on the exam as a way of weeding out the A's from the B's, and these throw me off, as well as other questions that are very challenging with the same purpose.
I think you mean weed out the B's from the A's, but I could be wrong. But do I read the last part right? The professor asks very challenging questions as a way of distinguishing between the A's and the B's. And you find fault with that?

Last edited:
Yeah I also got kind of confused with that, but I think he misspoke himself and that he's simply complaining about "bad" questions. If not, I revoke my previous answer :)

Woopydalan said:

I knew of a math professor who put an obscure, unsolved, problem (relevant to the course) on the final just to see how students would tackle it (and manage time). Mean? Perhaps. But it did select first for strategic problem solvers, and some partial work done on the problem was enlightening for the professor about the capabilities of his best students.

If a question is ambiguous, raise your hand and ask for clarification. If this isn't possible, make a note of the ambiguity on your paper and give it your best try.

As for difficult questions, I believe they are a good thing. Most of the professors in the math dept. at my university put problems on tests that are intended to be just out of reach for most, if not all, of the students in the course. This allows the particularly talented students to stand-out from everyone else. It is much more satisfying to get an A or a B on a tests like these, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I hate questions like that on tests, because you can know the material perfectly and still get it wrong because of the way the question is worded.

If I were you and I encountered a question like that, I'd go ask the teacher to explain it. Tell him what you think the question means, and if you're right, you should be able to answer it. If you're wrong, have him elucidate it until you can repeat to him the question in your own words which allow you to get the right answer.

Is the rest of the class having the same problems? What subject is this?

Let me give an example, we had a complex that reflected violet. It said to find the energy absorbed by the complex. It absorbs yellow because it is on the opposite side of the color wheel. Yellow is between 560-600nm. However, anyone who didn't use 580nm to find the energy of the crystal field split got the question wrong, even though yellow spans between those 40nm range.

Second question, there is one asking if it takes less energy to go to a different type of d orbital, for one coordination complex K4[FeCN6] or something and the other one is K3[FeCN6]. So...I interpret this as going from Dxy to Dyz or something (this is crystal field theory question) as opposed to one going from Dyz to Dz^2. The CN is a strong field ligand, so the pairing energy is less than the crystal field split. On one of them, the bottom 3 orbitals were completely filled, and the top were empty. On the other one, the bottom 3 were full except 1 spot. So I said to myself it would take more energy for the electron to jump to the next level than for it to pair up, so I said the complex that paired up would be the right answer since P < Δ. However, his idea of a d-orbital was the 1st bottom 3 being a type of d-orbital, when the top 2 were another type.

The word of interest here is ''type'' of d orbital, and I tried to argue that every box is a different type of d orbital (Dxy, Dyz, Dxy on the bottom and Dz^2 and Dx^2-y^2 on the top) which I think is fine, but he tried to claim the whole row is a type of d orbital.

When I say challenging, his words are ''with what I presented to you in class, you would not be able to answer this question''. Nor is it in the book. It was a multiple choice for these parts, so people could have just been lucky with their selection. The above was free response

I honestly think it's just an issue that my professor is not a native english speaker, so his questions can be worded the way he talks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that ambiguously worded questions and difficult "weeder" questions aren't really the same thing. It's not unreasonable for him to expect you to study outside of class to get all the points on the exam, but it is unreasonable for him to expect you to read his mind, as he appears to be doing with things like the 580nm question. I would ask him if you get to a question like that if he can clarify the question or be more specific as to what situation he is describing.

Woopydalan said:
Yellow is between 560-600nm. However, anyone who didn't use 580nm to find the energy of the crystal field split got the question wrong, even though yellow spans between those 40nm range.
I don't see why you have a problem with that. If you all agree the range is 560-600, and you want to use one "average" value, what is your justification for NOT using 580?

No comment on the other question, it's outside of my knowledge range!

Woopydalan said:
Let me give an example, we had a complex that reflected violet. It said to find the energy absorbed by the complex. It absorbs yellow because it is on the opposite side of the color wheel. Yellow is between 560-600nm. However, anyone who didn't use 580nm to find the energy of the crystal field split got the question wrong, even though yellow spans between those 40nm range.

Second question, there is one asking if it takes less energy to go to a different type of d orbital, for one coordination complex K4[FeCN6] or something and the other one is K3[FeCN6]. So...I interpret this as going from Dxy to Dyz or something (this is crystal field theory question) as opposed to one going from Dyz to Dz^2. The CN is a strong field ligand, so the pairing energy is less than the crystal field split. On one of them, the bottom 3 orbitals were completely filled, and the top were empty. On the other one, the bottom 3 were full except 1 spot. So I said to myself it would take more energy for the electron to jump to the next level than for it to pair up, so I said the complex that paired up would be the right answer since P < Δ. However, his idea of a d-orbital was the 1st bottom 3 being a type of d-orbital, when the top 2 were another type.

The word of interest here is ''type'' of d orbital, and I tried to argue that every box is a different type of d orbital (Dxy, Dyz, Dxy on the bottom and Dz^2 and Dx^2-y^2 on the top) which I think is fine, but he tried to claim the whole row is a type of d orbital.

When I say challenging, his words are ''with what I presented to you in class, you would not be able to answer this question''. Nor is it in the book. It was a multiple choice for these parts, so people could have just been lucky with their selection. The above was free response

I honestly think it's just an issue that my professor is not a native english speaker, so his questions can be worded the way he talks.

Though you were right, I don't see how that could affect the answer in your question. All you need to know is the relative energy levels of the different d-orbitals, and then it doesn't matter what "type" they are once you know how the electrons fill them up and what the crystal field splitting energy is.

BiP

Woopydalan said:

Yes that is the average. What should have been done is to find the energy for yellow as 560nm, and then again as 600nm, and then give the range of energy. I think that would be a more satisfactory answer. But it does not seem like a poorly worded question to me?

1. How do I approach ambiguous test questions?

The best way to approach ambiguous test questions is to read the question carefully and try to understand the main idea or concept being asked. If the question is unclear, ask your professor for clarification before attempting to answer it.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about the correct answer to an ambiguous question?

If you are unsure about the correct answer to an ambiguous question, try to eliminate any obviously incorrect options and make an educated guess based on your understanding of the topic. It's also important to provide a clear explanation for your chosen answer.

3. How can I prepare for ambiguous test questions in advance?

To prepare for ambiguous test questions, make sure you thoroughly understand the material and study different examples or applications of the concepts. This will help you develop critical thinking skills and be better equipped to tackle ambiguous questions.

4. Is it okay to ask the professor for clarification during the test?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask your professor for clarification during a test, especially if the question is ambiguous or confusing. Your professor wants you to succeed and will likely appreciate your effort to fully understand the question.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes on ambiguous test questions?

To avoid making mistakes on ambiguous test questions, carefully read the question and all of the options before choosing an answer. Pay attention to keywords and phrases that may provide hints or clues to the correct answer. It's also important to double-check your answers before submitting your test.