American Horror Story: A Creepy Unraveling

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: The daughter is a psychopath, the husband is possessed, and the teenage boy is a psychopath. The next door neighbor (mother) seems to be behind all of the sinister activities, her downs syndrome daughter seems psychically attuned to the house, or may have a more sinister role, the house keeper is dead (killed by the neighbor)and appears old to the mother and daughter but young to the sex obsessed dad. In summary, this show is very disturbing and definitely not for the faint of heart.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Who watched it last night??

In was so creepy. Usually horror shows will have one normal person, this one doesn't. The wife is neurotic, the husband is possesed, the daughter is mentally unstable, the teenage boy is a psychopath, the next door neighbor (mother) seems to be behind all of the sinister activities, her downs syndrome daughter seems psychically attuned to the house, or may have a more sinister role, the house keeper is dead (killed by the neighbor)and appears old to the mother and daughter but young to the sex obsessed dad.

I can't wait until next week's episode.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/ahs/

Too much sex and semi-nudity for me, but I've been waiting for an eerie horror show that wasn't the typical slasher film.

Confusing and creepy since no one knows what is going on, as someone said, a scary Twin Peaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They played the pilot twice in a row and I watched it both times. Great characters.

It really draws from all the modern greats. There are elements of David Lynch, yes, but also M. Night Shyamalan, Quentin Tarantino, David Shore, and, most noticably, Stephen King. I feel most like saying it's Stephen King, but with class.

The horror emerges from all the messed up psychological backdrop of the characters: you feel like you're watching the collective nightmare of a town full of vicious, unpleasant people. Even the girl with Down's is a palpably malevolent presence. Jessica Lange is great as the manipulative, evil neighbor, and I loved the device of the maid who looks like one thing to the wife, but quite another to the husband.

I was really surprised by the language: they're getting bolder and bolder on the main channels, especially when you consider it was mostly kids slinging the S word around. Fully justified, IMO, in so far as it contributed to the very disturbing atmosphere.

zoobyshoe said:
They played the pilot twice in a row and I watched it both times. Great characters.

It really draws from all the modern greats. There are elements of David Lynch, yes, but also M. Night Shyamalan, Quentin Tarantino, David Shore, and, most noticably, Stephen King. I feel most like saying it's Stephen King, but with class.

The horror emerges from all the messed up psychological backdrop of the characters: you feel like you're watching the collective nightmare of a town full of vicious, unpleasant people. Even the girl with Down's is a palpably malevolent presence. Jessica Lange is great as the manipulative, evil neighbor, and I loved the device of the maid who looks like one thing to the wife, but quite another to the husband.

I was really surprised by the language: they're getting bolder and bolder on the main channels, especially when you consider it was mostly kids slinging the S word around. Fully justified, IMO, in so far as it contributed to the very disturbing atmosphere.
Excellent review! You should be a critic.

It is very disturbing, but done so well. You just feel how wrong everything is.

I could only watch first 2 minutes then I started thinking that I am all alone in the room and might need to go pee at midnight :shy: I wasn't scared in those first 2 minutes but thought it might be a good idea not to go further :rofl:

I stay away from horror :approve:

rootX said:
I could only watch first 2 minutes then I started thinking that I am all alone in the room and might need to go pee at midnight :shy: I wasn't scared in those first 2 minutes but thought it might be a good idea not to go further :rofl:

I stay away from horror :approve:
Oh no, this is definitely too extreme for you. It made me uncomfortable, but then I am an old prude. :redface:

I hope the obligatory gay in the show will be a real creep as well.
Or, is that too much to ask from PC Hollywood??

I hope this show will air in Norway.

Evo said:
In was so creepy. Usually horror shows will have one normal person, this one doesn't.

Maybe they didn't expect any normal person to watch this and notices that...:biggrin:

arildno said:
I hope the obligatory gay in the show will be a real creep as well.
Or, is that too much to ask from PC Hollywood??

I hope this show will air in Norway.
Interesting you mention it: the obligatory gay(s) feature prominently as topics of conversation, but do not, themselves, appear. The mother, father, and daughter have just moved into a house whose previous owners were a gay couple who died by murder/suicide. The family discovers some kind of sex fetish costume (I couldn't make out what it was supposed to be in the dim lighting - something like a medieval suit of armor) that they ascribe to the gay couple.

The show is very un-PC across the board. The evil neighbor woman, who is the mother of the girl with Down's, makes an offhand reference to her daughter as "the mongoloid" at one point. This needling of the audience's PC sensibilities is the aspect I found Tarantino-like.

That S&M dungeon angle seems creepy enough! :approve:

zoobyshoe said:
Interestingly enough, the whole first episode is already online here:

https://www.facebook.com/americanhorrorstory
You can watch it from the show's link in my first post, so you don't have to go to Facebook, I know a lot of people prefer not to.

Evo said:
You can watch it from the show's link in my first post, so you don't have to go to Facebook, I know a lot of people prefer not to.

Oh, I didn't realize your link had a link to it online.

zoobyshoe said:
Oh, I didn't realize your link had a link to it online.
Yeah, I might watch it again tonight.

I did record it, but have yet to watch it. I've liked what I've read here, should be good. Going to be running a horror mystery RPG soon, thought it be good research.

Looked like it had potential. Sort of crowded though, no chance for the characters to breathe. Also, kind of tough with nobody really to route for. The daughter I guess? I find the father character extremely unlikeable.

Really liked the basement scene with the kid in the chair and the flickering lights.

We would like to know where on this planet you are that you are "Looking" for horror! lol :cry:

Galteeth said:
Looked like it had potential. Sort of crowded though, no chance for the characters to breathe. Also, kind of tough with nobody really to route for. The daughter I guess? I find the father character extremely unlikeable.
I don't find the daughter likeable, she has some serious problems. I don't find anyone likeable, that's kind of the draw to me, they're all nuts. The father is is possessed by another entity, so he's really creepy. The dog is going to be killed. He's the only likeable character. :cry:

Lacy33 said:
We would like to know where on this planet you are that you are "Looking" for horror! lol :cry:
This is supernatural horror, not real.

All new episode tonight at 10pm only on FX.

zoobyshoe said:
All new episode tonight at 10pm only on FX.
LOL! I know, I've been thinking about it all day.

Well, I have to say I was disappointed in episode 2. It was merely more of the same. All the impact of episode 1 had to do with the introduction of the weird people and situations. Episode 2 failed to carry an equal mass of new strangeness. It just developed slightly, all the stuff that was in episode 1. Now, it's true that a band of weirdos came into the house and tried to kill them, and that should constitute a major plot development, but, under the circumstances, we were already expecting something of that sort. They failed to surprise us with something we weren't expecting.

zoobyshoe said:
Well, I have to say I was disappointed in episode 2. It was merely more of the same. All the impact of episode 1 had to do with the introduction of the weird people and situations. Episode 2 failed to carry an equal mass of new strangeness. It just developed slightly, all the stuff that was in episode 1. Now, it's true that a band of weirdos came into the house and tried to kill them, and that should constitute a major plot development, but, under the circumstances, we were already expecting something of that sort. They failed to surprise us with something we weren't expecting.
Yeah, I was hoping that there was going to be some explanations, but instead, it just had another flash back to another multiple murder (who was that guy, and what did he have to do with the house?). And why were all those women living there?

Since the husband left before the weird woman he got pregnant came out from having the abortion, I wonder if she went through with it.

At the end, the psycho boy seemed in cahoots with the neighbor and the dead maid, is he the neighbor's son she mentioned? I guess that was new.

And why did the neighbor want to harm the daughter with the poisoned cupcakes?

And who was that hot guy with the neighbor, and can I have him?

Also, the downs syndrome daughter looked around 8 in 1978 when the creepy twins were murdered, that would make her around 40 now, yet she looks like a child.

Evo said:
At the end, the psycho boy seemed in cahoots with the neighbor and the dead maid, is he the neighbor's son she mentioned? I guess that was new.
The inference I made is that he is her son, yes. But, if that's the case, wouldn't the psychiatrist father know that since he seems to be in telephone contact with psycho boy's mother?

And why did the neighbor want to harm the daughter with the poisoned cupcakes?
Not sure, but it might be revenge for when the woman grabbed the daughter's face and told her to stay out of their house. Jessica Lange said "If you touch my daughter again, I'll break your arm."

And who was that hot guy with the neighbor, and can I have him?
I am not sure how he fits in. Apparently just some younger guy she lured over.

Also, the downs syndrome daughter looked around 8 in 1978 when the creepy twins were murdered, that would make her around 40 now, yet she looks like a child.
I could believe she was 30, but 40 is a surprise. Pauly Perrette on NCIS is actually about 41, but her character seems to be 25 or so. (I was shocked when I saw her in a very old show and she was an adult. I had to google.)

I liked this review-http://www.avclub.com/articles/home-invasion,63341/

Galteeth said:
I liked this review-http://www.avclub.com/articles/home-invasion,63341/[/QUOTE]
I think all roads lead to "Lost" for this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight sounds good!

After deciding to sell the house, Vivien learns about its first residents. Meanwhile Ben's visitor causes him to unravel even more; and constance and moira's histories are revealed.

Oh dear, they've got to kill off the father, I can't take it anymore. Even better, kill the whole family and just focus on the previous occupants. The current family is ruining what could be a decent show.

Evo said:
Oh dear, they've got to kill off the father, I can't take it anymore. Even better, kill the whole family and just focus on the previous occupants. The current family is ruining what could be a decent show.
I'm really not sure what the problem is you're having with the family. The family is realistically imperfect. I would find the show unbelievable if they were completely well adjusted, and totally innocent. I actually think the wife is a good, strong character, and doing really well under the circumstances. The husband is always wishing he was a better man, but is ultimately weak. The daughter's main flaw as a character is that she's not more interesting; a run-of-the-mill rebellious teen so far.

What's generating all the horror is the miscarriage and the affair. A good horror story is grounded in that kind of real life tragedy and crime, the apparently supernatural elements being surreal expressions of the un-facable, dark emotions such incidents provoke. Things like that destabilize everything. Everything is now tainted for this family. On the surface they relocated to start over, but deep down they don't believe that's possible, which is why they went with a house that they felt fit them: one that had lost 3/4's of its value due to a bad history. They're damaged and now vulnerable to getting sucked into the collective nightmare of all the damaged, angry people they come in contact with, particularly the neighbor (though, as a psychiatrist, the father is flypaper for crazies).

I thought tonight's episode was good. Here again, the real life incident of the girlfriend suddenly showing up and turning out to be pretty psycho generates the surreal aftershock of the burned guy killing her and burying her. Now the Dad is in way over his head.

Who is the burned guy, and why does he stalk the Dad and try to be his bud? The burned guy IS the Dad. He burned his family up just like the Dad burned his family up when he had the affair. He represents the Dad's inner wild man. This is why the Dad is repulsed by him. The Dad hates the burned man because he identifies with him, going around trying with grotesque optimism to get a new carreer started, while the scars of his guilt are impossible to ignore. And his identification with him is why he happens to show up out of nowhere at the opportune time to kill the psycho girlfriend. It's very Jungian.

I was also thinking the same thing. The burned guy always comes around when the Dad is conflicted and angry, hence when he is running, etc... Good analysis! I actually like the family for their imperfection and for the fact they all are identifiable characters to some degree.

The daughter is depressed and is looking for something to connect to in my opinion and her mother and father aren't exactly helping her in that regard. Cliche rebellion, yeah, but it is still grounded in reality and I think it fits her character. From what I gathered, she was alone back in her old life and was still alone in her new life, the high school incident put that into perspective pretty well, ostracized the moment she stepped foot onto the school yard. She then clings to the boy because of her loneliness in my opinion and that is primarily fostered from the emotional attachment she has with the house that the boy is apart of. I feel sad for the daughter, the mother, and the father which is kind of a good thing because I usually get that from books rather than television shows.

I cheered when the whacko tart got whacked.

I do not like the wife, she's a neurotic beotch. If you want to stay married, then you need to move past the indiscretion. If you won't/can't move past it, get divorced.

phoenix:\\ said:
I was also thinking the same thing. The burned guy always comes around when the Dad is conflicted and angry, hence when he is running, etc... Good analysis!
No other character in the show has ever seen the burned man, and the Dad has never told anyone about him either. I think there's a chance we'll find out he's not real at all. Not a ghost, but maybe a kind of multiple personality disorder alter-ego.

I actually like the family for their imperfection and for the fact they all are identifiable characters to some degree.
Yeah, they are realistically imperfect. In fact, I'd have to say that most of the people I know in real life are more messed up than this family.

The daughter is depressed and is looking for something to connect to in my opinion and her mother and father aren't exactly helping her in that regard. Cliche rebellion, yeah, but it is still grounded in reality and I think it fits her character. From what I gathered, she was alone back in her old life and was still alone in her new life, the high school incident put that into perspective pretty well, ostracized the moment she stepped foot onto the school yard. She then clings to the boy because of her loneliness in my opinion and that is primarily fostered from the emotional attachment she has with the house that the boy is apart of. I feel sad for the daughter, the mother, and the father which is kind of a good thing because I usually get that from books rather than television shows.
She and psycho boy are both outcasts from their peers. She's got a good relationship with the mother, though, and that's probably what's keeping her from being a lot worse. Psycho boy is still a mystery. What's his relationship to the neighbor and the maid?

Evo said:
In was so creepy. Usually horror shows will have one normal person, this one doesn't. The wife is neurotic, the husband is possesed, the daughter is mentally unstable, the teenage boy is a psychopath, the next door neighbor (mother) seems to be behind all of the sinister activities, her downs syndrome daughter seems psychically attuned to the house, or may have a more sinister role, the house keeper is dead (killed by the neighbor)and appears old to the mother and daughter but young to the sex obsessed dad.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm really not sure what the problem is you're having with the family. The family is realistically imperfect. I would find the show unbelievable if they were completely well adjusted, and totally innocent. I actually think the wife is a good, strong character, and doing really well under the circumstances. The husband is always wishing he was a better man, but is ultimately weak. The daughter's main flaw as a character is that she's not more interesting; a run-of-the-mill rebellious teen so far.

What's generating all the horror is the miscarriage and the affair. A good horror story is grounded in that kind of real life tragedy and crime, the apparently supernatural elements being surreal expressions of the un-facable, dark emotions such incidents provoke. Things like that destabilize everything. Everything is now tainted for this family. On the surface they relocated to start over, but deep down they don't believe that's possible, which is why they went with a house that they felt fit them: one that had lost 3/4's of its value due to a bad history. They're damaged and now vulnerable to getting sucked into the collective nightmare of all the damaged, angry people they come in contact with, particularly the neighbor (though, as a psychiatrist, the father is flypaper for crazies).

I thought tonight's episode was good. Here again, the real life incident of the girlfriend suddenly showing up and turning out to be pretty psycho generates the surreal aftershock of the burned guy killing her and burying her. Now the Dad is in way over his head.

Who is the burned guy, and why does he stalk the Dad and try to be his bud? The burned guy IS the Dad. He burned his family up just like the Dad burned his family up when he had the affair. He represents the Dad's inner wild man. This is why the Dad is repulsed by him. The Dad hates the burned man because he identifies with him, going around trying with grotesque optimism to get a new carreer started, while the scars of his guilt are impossible to ignore. And his identification with him is why he happens to show up out of nowhere at the opportune time to kill the psycho girlfriend. It's very Jungian.

phoenix:\\ said:
I was also thinking the same thing. The burned guy always comes around when the Dad is conflicted and angry, hence when he is running, etc... Good analysis! I actually like the family for their imperfection and for the fact they all are identifiable characters to some degree.

Oh good... now I don't have to watch it! <grumble grumble> :grumpy:

Spoiler alert?

FlexGunship said:
Oh good... now I don't have to watch it! <grumble grumble> :grumpy:

Spoiler alert?
None of what's been said gets to the important heart of the show, which is the scene in episode three where the hot maid is shown from behind, down on her hands and knees, in her French Maid costume, scrubbing the floor.

Part one of a 2 part. I don't get it, it's a serial, so the story continues each week, how can they have a 2 part story within a serial?

Sounds like a whole lot is going to happen.

Three people will die. So every episode thus far has begun with a murder — the Halloween killings don't all take place in the past. Death will even claim a pretty major character (who has been in every episode so far) in a pretty gruesome way. In a twist, it will be pretty sad as well...
WHO?? Tell me now! Is it the dog? Is the dog still alive? I haven't seen it since the downs syndrome woman/child said it was going to die.

I'm making ranch oyster crackers for the event.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/American-Horror-Story-Halloween-Spoilers-1039003.aspx

Last edited:
Evo said:
Part one of a 2 part. I don't get it, it's a serial, so the story continues each week, how can they have a 2 part story within a serial?
They're probably going to make one particular issue the focus and then drag the resolution of that issue out over two episodes.
WHO?? Tell me now! Is it the dog? Is the dog still alive? I haven't seen it since the downs syndrome woman/child said it was going to die.
It can't be the dog or the Down's girl, since they haven't been in every episode. The maid's already dead. That leaves: the family members, the neighbor, psycho boy, the burned man. I can't think of anyone else whose been in every episode.

Back