1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of CO2 vaporized in a phase change from liquid to solid & vapor

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Saturated liquid CO2 is at T= 293 K and P=5.72*10^6 Pa and undergoes throttling to P=1.01*10^5. The resulting solid and vapor mixture is at T = 195 K. What fraction of the carbon dioxide is vaporized? (The enthalpy of the saturated liquid in the initial state is 24,200 J/mol, and the enthalpy of the saturated solid in the final state is 6750 J/mol. The heat of sublimation at the final temperature and pressure is 25,100 J/mol.)

2. Relevant equations

[itex] \frac{dP}{dT} = \frac{L}{T(v^{(f)}-V^{(i)})} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really unsure of how to go about this problem. Using the equation above, I can find expressions for vaporization, sublimation, and freezing, but I don't know the heat of vaporization or any of the initial or final volumes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2
    What is the change in enthalpy during a throttling operation? If the enthalpy of the solid in the final state is 6750 J/mole, and the heat of sublimation under the final state conditions is 25100 J/mole, what is the enthalpy of the final vapor in J/mole?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted