Amplifier Power Cord Replacement

In summary, the power cord for the amplifier has a standard three-prong connector, but the part number printed on it is not the same as the connectors on the amplifier. There are several locking connector pairs to choose from, and the cheapest solution would be to use a crimp tool instead of pliers.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
I severed the power cord to an amplifier of mine and I am trying to replace it. My amplifier seems to have a pretty standard 3-prong power cord. Printed on it is:

E88265-C SVT 75 degree celcius 18AWGX3C VW-1 CSA TYPE LL81924

I googled some of these part numbers but none of them seem to have the same kind of connection that my amplifier does. Picture attached.

Is there a specific name for this kind of connection?

Attachments

• IMG_0124[1].jpg
    IMG_0124[1].jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 549
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have push on spade connectors. You have the female part attached to the wire. The male part is a lug or tang on the switch.

Versions that crimp on to the cable with pliers can be obtained from automotive stores, get the correct size.

Studiot said:
You have push on spade connectors. You have the female part attached to the wire. The male part is a lug or tang on the switch.

Versions that crimp on to the cable with pliers can be obtained from automotive stores, get the correct size.
Just to give an example of what you can get at automotive stores:
nylon_full_double_crimp_pushon_big.jpg

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d49.html"

I would use a cheap crimp tool instead of pliers.
990100_big.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could connect an inline IEC socket to the 3 wires coming from the amplifier (if there is enough wire) and then use a standard IEC power cable to connect to the mains.

IECRewireablePlug.jpg

This would save you having to fit spade connectors.

vk6kro said:
You could connect an inline IEC socket to the 3 wires coming from the amplifier (if there is enough wire) and then use a standard IEC power cable to connect to the mains.

IECRewireablePlug.jpg

This would save you having to fit spade connectors.

I like this idea! Thanks. This forum is so handy some times.

If you go for the plug and socket solution the IEC pair is definitely not recommended as it is not a locking fit.

If you go this route there are several locking connector pairs to choose from.

Studiot said:
If you go for the plug and socket solution the IEC pair is definitely not recommended as it is not a locking fit.

If you go this route there are several locking connector pairs to choose from.

Why would it need to lock? This is just an amplifier, not a power tool.

Every computer uses these connectors and I've never seen one come apart. They make a firm connection and they are very reliable.

Any push-in / pull-out arrangement is at risk of displacement by any jerk in the cable. This is one reason why the cable in a BS plug is at right angles to the entry line of the conecting pins. The cable in IEC plugs is inline with the terminals.

David (no offence meant) has already demonstrated that cables are at some risk in his environment and this connection is meant to be semi-permanent, not just a temporary one off.

If the plug becomes loose in the socket, the connection will still apparently function correctly but arcing will occur which could eventually lead to a fire. I have seen this happen.

Just on this monrning's news there was a report of someone who has a laptop in bed , obstructing the fan, and set fire to his flat.
There are some 50,000 electrically caused fires in the UK alone per year - A frightening number.

http://customavrack.com/Category/145-nema-twist-locking-power-cords-15a-20a-30a-in-stock-ships-within-24-hours.aspx" will terminate NEMA locking power cords or different custom IEC configurations at just about any length and ship it within a day or two

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an amplifier power cord?

An amplifier power cord is the cable that connects an amplifier to a power source, providing the necessary electrical current to power the amplifier and allow it to function.

2. When do I need to replace my amplifier power cord?

You may need to replace your amplifier power cord if it becomes damaged, frayed, or if it is not providing a consistent and stable power supply to your amplifier. It is also recommended to replace the power cord if you are experiencing any electrical issues with your amplifier.

3. How do I choose the right replacement power cord for my amplifier?

When selecting a replacement power cord for your amplifier, you should make sure that it is compatible with your specific amplifier model and has the appropriate voltage and amperage ratings. You can usually find this information in your amplifier's user manual or by contacting the manufacturer.

4. Can I use a generic power cord instead of the manufacturer's recommended replacement?

No, it is not recommended to use a generic power cord as a replacement for your amplifier's power cord. The manufacturer's recommended power cord is specifically designed for your amplifier and ensures proper voltage and amperage for safe and optimal performance.

5. How often should I replace my amplifier power cord?

It is recommended to replace your amplifier power cord every few years or if you notice any signs of damage or wear. Regularly checking and replacing your power cord can help prevent electrical issues and ensure your amplifier continues to function properly.