Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplifier Power Cord Replacement

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I severed the power cord to an amplifier of mine and I am trying to replace it. My amplifier seems to have a pretty standard 3-prong power cord. Printed on it is:

E88265-C SVT 75 degree celcius 18AWGX3C VW-1 CSA TYPE LL81924

I googled some of these part numbers but none of them seem to have the same kind of connection that my amplifier does. Picture attached.

Is there a specific name for this kind of connection?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    You have push on spade connectors. You have the female part attached to the wire. The male part is a lug or tang on the switch.

Versions that crimp on to the cable with pliers can be obtained from automotive stores, get the correct size.

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to give an example of what you can get at automotive stores:
    nylon_full_double_crimp_pushon_big.jpg

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d49.html"

I would use a cheap crimp tool instead of pliers.
    990100_big.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Apr 10, 2010 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You could connect an inline IEC socket to the 3 wires coming from the amplifier (if there is enough wire) and then use a standard IEC power cable to connect to the mains.

IECRewireablePlug.jpg

This would save you having to fit spade connectors.

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I like this idea! Thanks. This forum is so handy some times.

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6
    If you go for the plug and socket solution the IEC pair is definitely not recommended as it is not a locking fit.

If you go this route there are several locking connector pairs to choose from.

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Why would it need to lock? This is just an amplifier, not a power tool.

Every computer uses these connectors and I've never seen one come apart. They make a firm connection and they are very reliable.

9. Apr 11, 2010 #8
    Any push-in / pull-out arrangement is at risk of displacement by any jerk in the cable. This is one reason why the cable in a BS plug is at right angles to the entry line of the conecting pins. The cable in IEC plugs is inline with the terminals.

David (no offence meant) has already demonstrated that cables are at some risk in his environment and this connection is meant to be semi-permanent, not just a temporary one off.

If the plug becomes loose in the socket, the connection will still apparantly function correctly but arcing will occur which could eventually lead to a fire. I have seen this happen.

Just on this monrning's news there was a report of someone who has a laptop in bed , obstructing the fan, and set fire to his flat.
    There are some 50,000 electrically caused fires in the UK alone per year - A frightening number.

10. Apr 19, 2010 #9
    http://customavrack.com/Category/145-nema-twist-locking-power-cords-15a-20a-30a-in-stock-ships-within-24-hours.aspx" [Broken] will terminate NEMA locking power cords or different custom IEC configurations at just about any length and ship it within a day or two

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook