What is this type of jack called (found in an old record player)?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: Very sad.In summary, today the speakers were brought back from the old house, one is an HMV stereo 666 and another is of Philips, both over 40 years old since they were left there when the grandfather passed away. One had a broken plug and was faulty, so a second one was bought. The HMV player can potentially be restored with the help of an uninterested individual who has already changed everything in the amplifier circuit board except the transistors. Both players do not have internal speakers, which was common at that time, but there are four external speakers with torn wires. The jack on the HMV player is a DIN connector, which can possibly be found in local stores. @jim hardy suggests cleaning the
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Today, we went to our old house and brought back two record players. One is an HMV stereo 666, and another is of Philips. They have been lying there for almost twenty years, since my grandfather passed away. Maybe they are more than 40 years old. One of them had the plug broken, and dad's memory told him that it was faulty, and that is why a second one was bought. The second one seemed alright, and when we powered it, the indicator lit up, but the motor was not working.

The HMV can be, in principle, restored. A person did this, but he is not interested in helping others. He changed everything in the amplifier circuit board except the transistors. However, none of the two players has internal speakers, something very common at that point of time. There are four speakers, but unfortunately, their wires are torn. I can attach new wires, but the jack is kind of odd, and I have never seen anything like this before:

20190707_091926.jpg

Some more pics attached at the end.

This seems to be the precursor of the modern-day AV cables. The HMV player has the following output panel:

20190707_091748.jpg

Question: What is this jack called, and can I find them on the internet? Is there any adapter available for these cables to modern-day cables, so that I can connect new speakers (if the four old ones do not work)?

Otherwise, I might have to replace the ports with modern-day speaker ports, but I don't have any experience in the latter.

20190707_091928.jpg
20190707_091912.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Old Jim, @jim hardy might be able to answer your question. He posts some classic electronic equipment from time to time and probably knows where you can get these.

In the meantime, this Wikipedia article calls them DIN connectors and there’s even an image of a speaker DIN connector that looks remarkably like yours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

Likes davenn and Wrichik Basu
Thanks, @jedishrfu and @Tom.G. I will have to search in some local stores, as shipping costs are too high if I import from the US.

@jim hardy Would like to know your opinion regarding repairing these devices.

Wrichik Basu said:
Is there any adapter available for these cables to modern-day cables, so that I can connect new speakers (if the four old ones do not work)?
I would just try to clean up the ones you have. I checked in my parts drawers and found this one:

It would be simple to terminate a modern speaker cable with it (note the cover/housing screw). That's what I would do.

Likes davenn, jedishrfu and Wrichik Basu
IIrc, this was one of a series of the same type and they were all pretty horrible and the equipment they were fitted to was all 'old', even in the 70s. At least they were re-wireable. They were fairly rugged, though, and the larger ones were available with a swing-over wire clamp to take the stress from the pins. The screw holding the back on was fiddly to fit. They used to be round headed and single slot.
A trip down memory lane. :smile:

Likes jedishrfu and Wrichik Basu
dlgoff said:
I would just try to clean up the ones you have.
The ones that you showed are, of course, in good condition. The one that I posted is in a fairly healthy condition. But I need three more such jacks, as the others are completely broken. In addition, I might also need to change the female panel mount jacks - I have to check their condition.
dlgoff said:
It would be simple to terminate a modern speaker cable with it (note the cover/housing screw). That's what I would do.
Good idea.

Wrichik Basu said:
But I need three more such jacks, as the others are completely broken.
I have two (one without a housing) that I would give to you. Just PM where you'd like them sent if you want them.

Likes Wrichik Basu, davenn and jedishrfu

1. What is a "jack" in the context of a record player?

A jack in a record player is a type of connector that allows for the transfer of audio signals between the record player and an external device, such as a speaker or amplifier.

2. How does a jack work in a record player?

A jack typically consists of a metal plug and a corresponding socket. The plug is inserted into the socket, creating a secure connection that allows for the transmission of electrical signals.

3. What is the purpose of a jack in a record player?

The main purpose of a jack in a record player is to allow for the amplification and playback of audio signals from a vinyl record. It also allows for the connection of external devices, such as headphones or speakers, for personal listening.

4. Are there different types of jacks used in record players?

Yes, there are several types of jacks used in record players, including RCA jacks, 3.5mm jacks, and 6.35mm jacks. The type of jack used will depend on the specific model and design of the record player.

5. Can jacks in record players be replaced if they are damaged?

Yes, jacks in record players can be replaced if they are damaged or malfunctioning. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement jack is compatible with the record player and properly installed to avoid further damage.