1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude of harmonic oscillator

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a simple harmonic oscillator system with the driving force a sinusoidal term. The question is to find the general solution and the amplitude of the steady state solution

2. Relevant equations

I found the steady state part of the solution. It is of the form:
    (sin(wt)*(1-w^2)-cos(wt)*w)/f(w)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm told that the amplitude of the system in steady state should be 1/sqrt(f(w)) but I can't derive it. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    use trig identity and reduce the equation to sin(A-B), amplitude is the factor by which the stated term is raised

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    But the coefficients of each sinusoidal term are different........

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4
    is your steady state solution correct? it gets crazy if i reduce it to some trig identity
    and what is f(w) equal to?

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    Yes I'm sure it's correct. This is homework so I'm loathed to post the whole details. However, take a look here:
    http://nuweb.neu.edu/dheiman/U600/DHO.pdf
    Look at the section "Driven Harmonic Oscillator" on page 4. The solution given is exactly what I want (with lambda, w_0 and F_0/m all equal to 1). I just can't derive it from my own solution. By hand I just used a trial solution of p.cos(wt) + q.sin(wt) and equated coefficients, which lead to the form I posted above. I also used Maple to check this, and it agrees.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The (1-w^2) factor isn't under a square root?

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7
    no, it's not......

9. Feb 1, 2010 #8
    Another look at this in Maple:
    [Sorry, fiddling with latex.........]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  10. Feb 1, 2010 #9
    In Maple:
    [tex]{\it s2s}\, := \,{\frac { \left( -{\omega_{{0}}}^{2}+{\omega}^{2} \right) \sin \left( \omega\,t \right) +\cos \left( \omega\,t \right) \omega\,\lambda}{{\omega}^{4}+ \left( {\lambda}^{2}-2\,{\omega_{{0}}}^{2} \right) {\omega}^{2}\\
    \mbox{}+{\omega_{{0}}}^{4}}}\]}[/tex]

which simplifies to:

[tex]{\frac {\cos \left( \omega\,t-\arctan \left( -{\omega_{{0}}}^{2}+{\omega}^{2},\omega\,\lambda \right) \right) }{ \sqrt{{\lambda}^{2}{\omega}^{2}+{\omega_{{0}}}^{4}-2\,{\omega_{{0}}}^{2}{\omega}^{2}\\
    \mbox{}+{\omega}^{4}}}}\]}[/tex]

And that's what I'm trying to achieve by hand....

Maple code is
    s2s:=((-omega[0]^2+omega^2)*sin(omega*t)+cos(omega*t)*omega*lambda)/(omega^4+(lambda^2-2*omega[0]^2)*omega^2+omega[0]^4);
    simplify(convert(s2s,phaseamp,t));

Thanks

11. Feb 1, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, that helps. Note that the denominator is [itex](\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2+(\lambda\omega)^2[/itex]. Consider a right triangle with one leg of length [itex]\omega^2-\omega_0^2[/itex] and the other of length [itex]\lambda\omega[/itex]. Does that help?

12. Feb 1, 2010 #11
    Indeed, yes. So easy now. Thanks !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook