1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude of damped mass-spring system

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the IVP
    [tex]
    \ddot{r}+\dot{r}+20r=0\\
    r(0) = 0.8\\
    \dot{r}(0) = 0
    [/tex]
    for the length of an oscillating spring (damped), we find that the general solution is
    [tex]
    r=e^{-0.5t}[0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)+\frac{0.4}{\sqrt{19.75}}\sin(\sqrt{19.75}t)]
    [/tex]
    and I wish to find the curve bounding the upper part of the solution, i.e. the amplitude of the oscillations.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that if
    [tex]
    r=e^{-0.5t}0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)
    [/tex]
    for example, then the amplitude would be obtained by removing the cosine factor, since [itex]e^{-0.5t}0.8[/itex] correspond to the amplitude and [itex]\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)[/itex] corresponds to how fast the spring is oscillating. But how does one do when there are two oscillating terms as above?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use$$A\cos\theta + B\sin\theta = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left(\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos\theta + \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\sin\theta \right)$$ $$=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\theta-\alpha)$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted