1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amusement Park Ride, Find Velocity at Point C

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure (Figure 1) . It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.

If the car starts at height h= 5.00 R and the radius is R = 16.0m , compute the speed of the passengers when the car is at point C, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy

3. The attempt at a solution

Using conservation of Energy

PE_i + KE_i = PE_f + KE_f

mgh = mgh + 1/2mv^2

mg(5R) = mg(R) + 1/2mv^2 (We are solving for V, so..)

mg(5R) - mg(R) = 1/2mv^2

(Cancel out mass)

g(5R) - g(R) = 1/2v^2

2(g(5R) - g(R)) = v^2

sqrt(2(g(5R) - g(R))) = V

(Plug in R)

sqrt(2(g(80) - g(5))) = V

If this is correct so far, is g just gravity or is it centripetal acceleration? I loose confidence at this step..Lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you're doing alright.

Note that during your simplifications you could make mg(5R) - mg(R) into mg4R and save a lot of number pushing later on down the page.

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    Ok great, submitted my answer and it was right. Thanks for the tip for subtracting the R's. I didn't know if I was doing the right process. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted