Amusement Park Ride, Find Velocity at Point C

In summary, the car in the amusement park ride starts at rest at a height of 5.00 R above the bottom of the loop with a radius of 16.0m. Using conservation of energy, the speed of the passengers at point C, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter, can be calculated by taking the square root of 2 times the difference between the gravitational acceleration at a height of 80 meters and 5 meters, multiplied by the radius. This simplification can be helpful in reducing the number of calculations needed.
jlewallen18

Homework Statement

A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure (Figure 1) . It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.

If the car starts at height h= 5.00 R and the radius is R = 16.0m , compute the speed of the passengers when the car is at point C, which is at the end of a horizontal diameter.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of Energy

PE_i + KE_i = PE_f + KE_f

mgh = mgh + 1/2mv^2

mg(5R) = mg(R) + 1/2mv^2 (We are solving for V, so..)

mg(5R) - mg(R) = 1/2mv^2

(Cancel out mass)

g(5R) - g(R) = 1/2v^2

2(g(5R) - g(R)) = v^2

sqrt(2(g(5R) - g(R))) = V

(Plug in R)

sqrt(2(g(80) - g(5))) = V

If this is correct so far, is g just gravity or is it centripetal acceleration? I loose confidence at this step..Lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 785
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're doing alright.

Note that during your simplifications you could make mg(5R) - mg(R) into mg4R and save a lot of number pushing later on down the page.

gneill said:
Looks like you're doing alright.

Note that during your simplifications you could make mg(5R) - mg(R) into mg4R and save a lot of number pushing later on down the page.

Ok great, submitted my answer and it was right. Thanks for the tip for subtracting the R's. I didn't know if I was doing the right process. Thanks again

1. What is the purpose of finding the velocity at Point C on an amusement park ride?

Finding the velocity at Point C on an amusement park ride allows us to understand the speed at which the ride is moving at that specific point. This information can help in ensuring the safety and smooth operation of the ride.

2. How is the velocity at Point C calculated on an amusement park ride?

The velocity at Point C can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the ride at Point C by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be determined using sensors or by manually measuring the distance and time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity at Point C on an amusement park ride?

The velocity at Point C can be affected by various factors such as the structure and design of the ride, the weight and distribution of the riders, and any external forces such as wind resistance. These factors can impact the overall speed and safety of the ride.

4. Is the velocity at Point C constant on an amusement park ride?

No, the velocity at Point C is not constant on an amusement park ride. The speed of the ride can vary at different points depending on the design and motion of the ride. It is important to monitor and calculate the velocity at different points to ensure the safety of the riders.

5. How can the velocity at Point C be used to improve amusement park ride design?

By analyzing the velocity at Point C, ride designers can determine if any adjustments need to be made to improve the ride's speed, safety, and overall experience. This information can also be used to create more thrilling and dynamic rides for amusement park visitors.