An Air-Filled Toroidal Solenoid

• Thread starter GreenMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the problem involves an air-filled toroidal solenoid with a mean radius of 14.5 cm and a cross-sectional area of 4.99 cm^2. The current flowing through it is 11.7 A and the desired energy stored within the solenoid is 0.388 J. The least number of turns needed for the winding is 287, obtained through the equation N = \sqrt{\frac {4 (\Pi) U r}{\mu_0 I^2 A}} after correcting a conversion error.
GreenMind

Homework Statement

179190.jpg

An air-filled toroidal solenoid has a mean radius of 14.5 cm and a cross-sectional area of 4.99 cm^2 (see the figure). The current flowing through it is 11.7 A, and it is desired that the energy stored within the solenoid be at least 0.388 J.

What is the least number of turns that the winding must have?
Express your answer numerically, as a whole number, to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

[tex] B = \frac {\mu_0 N I}{2 \Pi r} [/tex]

[tex] \Phi_B = \oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dA}[/tex]

[tex] U = \frac {1}{2} L I^2[/tex]

[tex] L = \frac {N \Phi_B}{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved for N to get the Number of Turns.

[tex] N = \sqrt{\frac {4 (\Pi) U r}{\mu_0 I^2 A}}[/tex]

[tex] N = \sqrt{\frac {(4) (\Pi) (0.388j) (0.145m)}{(4 (\Pi) (10^{-7}) \frac{wb}{Am}) (11.7A^2) (0.0499m^2)}}[/tex]

N = 287 turns

Do I have some conversion wrong or did I miss something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SOLVED!

Found my error in my conversion of [tex]cm^2[/tex] to [tex]m^2[/tex].

I did my the correct conversion is [tex] \frac{4.99}{10000} [/tex]

Your attempt at a solution looks correct. The only thing I would suggest is to double check your units to make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Also, make sure to include the units in your final answer. So the final answer would be 287 turns, with units of turns.

1. What is an air-filled toroidal solenoid?

An air-filled toroidal solenoid is a type of electromagnetic coil that is shaped like a doughnut or torus. It consists of a hollow, circular tube with wire wrapped around it in a continuous looping fashion. The tube is filled with air, hence the name "air-filled." When an electric current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field that is strongest in the center of the torus.

2. What is the purpose of an air-filled toroidal solenoid?

An air-filled toroidal solenoid is commonly used in scientific experiments and research to create a uniform magnetic field. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as speakers and transformers, to amplify and control magnetic fields.

3. How does an air-filled toroidal solenoid differ from other types of solenoids?

Unlike other types of solenoids, an air-filled toroidal solenoid has a hollow center, which allows for the creation of a more uniform magnetic field. It also has a greater number of wire turns, making it more efficient at producing a stronger magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in an air-filled toroidal solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field in an air-filled toroidal solenoid is affected by several factors, including the number of wire turns, the current passing through the wire, and the diameter of the toroid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

5. How is an air-filled toroidal solenoid constructed?

An air-filled toroidal solenoid is typically constructed by winding a long, thin wire around a cylindrical or toroidal core made of a non-magnetic material, such as plastic or cardboard. The wire is wound in a continuous looping fashion, with each turn tightly packed against the previous one. The ends of the wire are then connected to a power source to create the electromagnetic field.