Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poloidal current in toroidal solenoid

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out how the current density for a poloidal current in toroidal solenoid is written. I found you may define a torus by an upper conical ring ##(a<r<b,\theta=\theta_1,\phi)##, a lower conical ring ##(a<r<b,\theta=\theta_2,\phi)##, an inner spherical ring ##(r=a,\theta_{1}<\theta<\theta_{2},\phi)## and an outter spherical ring ##(r=b,\theta_{1}<\theta<\theta_{2},\phi)##. I used Mathematica to illustrate the torus generated with this definition:

Untitled.png
    So, the poloidal current density may be weitten:

[itex]\mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{NI}{2\pi r\sin\theta}\lbrace\frac{\hat{r}}{r}[\delta(\theta-\theta_{1})-\delta(\theta-\theta_{2})][\Theta(r-a)-\Theta(r-b)]+\hat{\theta}[\delta(r-b)-\delta(r-a)][\Theta(\theta-\theta_{1})-\Theta(\theta-\theta_{2})]\rbrace[/itex]
    My question is: is that definition of a torus correct? my problem here is that this torus is not smooth, so I don't know if it is homeomorphic to the standard torus (I don't know much about Topology). Also I would like to know if there is a possible way to write a current density in spherical coordinates for a poloidal current in a standard toroidal solenoid:

Untitled.png
    Thank you for your answers (:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is, but I don't see how this could be relevant in a physics problem.
    Sure, but the equations could get messy.

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    Thank you, I'm studying the multipole expansion of EM fields for such toroidal solenoid but I want to feel confortable with the current density before start to calculate things...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook