Calculating Magnetic Field Outside Toroidal Solenoid

• Thread starter LordBerkley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary: So as you move around the loop, B changes from zero (outside the solenoid) to some value (inside the solenoid) and then back to zero (outside the solenoid).In summary, assuming that the magnetic field inside the solenoid is perpendicular to the plane of each coil and is zero outside, you can use Ampere's law to calculate the size of the magnetic field outside the coil due to leakage. This involves drawing a closed loop around the solenoid and using the equation: \int B \cdot d\mathcal{l} = \mu I, where B is the magnetic field and I is the total current enclosed by the loop.
LordBerkley
If I have a solenoid in the shape of a toroid (i.e. solenoid joined end to end) the magnetic field produced by the flow of charge will produce a concentrated magnetic field within the coil.

How would I go about calculating the size of the magnetic field outside of the coil due to magnetic field leakage?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB

Physics news on Phys.org
LordBerkley said:
If I have a solenoid in the shape of a toroid (i.e. solenoid joined end to end) the magnetic field produced by the flow of charge will produce a concentrated magnetic field within the coil.

How would I go about calculating the size of the magnetic field outside of the coil due to magnetic field leakage?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB

I think that a good approximation would be to assume that the magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] inside the soldenoid is directed perpendicular to the plane of each coil and is zero outside of the solenoid. Then you can use Ampere's law to compute it:

[itex]\int B \cdot d\mathcal{l} = \mu I[/itex]

The meaning of that equation is that if you imagine drawing a closed loop that encloses a bunch of wires, then the total current enclosed by the loop is equal to the line integral of [itex]B[/itex] around the loop.

1. How is the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid calculated?

The magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0NI/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current flowing through the solenoid, and r is the distance from the center of the solenoid.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid is perpendicular to the plane of the coil and depends on the direction of the current flowing through the coil. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the field, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Is the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid uniform?

No, the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid is not uniform. It is strongest near the center of the coil and decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the magnetic field lines are closer together near the center and become more spread out as they move away from the coil.

4. How does the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid compare to the magnetic field inside the solenoid?

The magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid is significantly weaker than the magnetic field inside the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field lines outside the coil are more spread out and not concentrated like they are inside the coil.

5. Can the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, external magnetic fields can affect the magnetic field outside a toroidal solenoid. If an external magnetic field is present and parallel to the solenoid, it can either enhance or weaken the solenoid's magnetic field depending on its direction. If the external field is perpendicular to the solenoid, it can distort the solenoid's magnetic field and cause it to deviate from its ideal uniform shape.