An aluminum cylinder with a steel wire attached

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Dingleberg
b85dcea3-5110-4d1a-9a45-88a0f23dabc5
b85dcea3-5110-4d1a-9a45-88a0f23dabc5
tlz0T2A.png

Hi! So when this system gets heated, how does the wire expand if it is bent like that? Would it expand horizontally or vertically? Also, when calculating the stress for the wire, I know that I use the thermal expansion equation for dL of steel, but other people said that you have to also subtract that by dL of aluminum, why? I can't picture that in my head for some reason.

My process was:

Stress in wire = Y(αΔT)
and the answer I got was 2.4*10^7 N/m^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to assume that the short cross pieces of wire do not bend . Just treat them as very strong brackets .
 
Nidum said:
You have to assume that the short cross pieces of wire do not bend . Just treat them as very strong brackets .

Oh all right, but why does the cylinder affect the steel wire if this is a linear expansion? It does not push the brackets or steel wire in any sort of way.

Thank you for your response by the way :)
 
Is the coefficient of expansion for Aluminium more or less than that for steel ?