Image if a mirror is placed at the focal distance of a biconvex lens

In summary, a mirror placed at a 45° angle to the lens creates an image of an object that is located at a distance of 8 cm from the lens.
HastiM
Hello,

suppose we are given a biconvex lens with focal length of 4 cm. Further, an arrow of height 1 cm is placed in front of the lens in a distance of 8 cm (i.e. twice the focal length). Lastly, a mirror is placed on the other side of the lens at a distance of 4 cm and such that it performs an angle of 45 degrees with the optical axis and such that no reflected ray will hit the lens again. I want to know where the image of the arrow will occur.

Of course, if the mirror would not exist, then the image of the arrow would appear upside down at a distance of 8 cm. But I am very confused because of the mirror. My problem is that some of the rays emitted by the arrow become parallel after a reflection at the mirror. At the same time, some rays coming from the tip of the arrow intersect at several points after passing through the lens. Could someone please help me with the present situation?

I would very appreciate your help

Science news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a ray diagram? If you post it we may be able to see where you went wrong.

What do you expect a 45° mirror to do?

Hello Ibix,

thank you for your answer. I have drawn a ray diagram (see the picture which I have uploaded).

As I said, I really do not know what happens due to the mirror. Do you have any hint for me?

Attachments

• 20171202_134441.jpg
    20171202_134441.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 465
Another thing which bothers me is that light rays, which are emitted by the arrow, may intersect twice after passing through the lens, as it is seen in the picture (if the picture is correct of course). I am wondering, where is the image point then? Both points or only one of them…?

The diagram looks fine - except you need to use a ruler and measure distances and angles precisely. Then the picture will tell you precisely what happens.
HastiM said:
As I said, I really do not know what happens due to the mirror. Do you have any hint for me?
Well, what do mirrors do? If you look at a 45° mirror where do you end up looking? Is there anything special about light rays that happen to enter your eyes?
HastiM said:
Another thing which bothers me is that light rays, which are emitted by the arrow, may intersect twice after passing through the lens, as it is seen in the picture (if the picture is correct of course). I am wondering, where is the image point then? Both points or only one of them…?
A good question. The point about the image is that it occurs where all rays emitted from the object cross. You can relatively easily add another ray from the tip of the arrow in a straight line through the centre of the lens. If you've drawn it precisely (!) this should go through the upper crossing point, but not through the lower one.

HastiM said:
My problem is that some of the rays emitted by the arrow become parallel after a reflection at the mirror.

That shouldn't happen. In your diagram you have 2 rays leaving the arrow, but 3 rays reflecting off of the mirror, two of which reflect from the same point on the mirror but reflect in different directions. Where did this extra ray come from?

Likes Ibix
Drakkith said:
That shouldn't happen. In your diagram you have 2 rays leaving the arrow, but 3 rays reflecting off of the mirror, two of which reflect from the same point on the mirror but reflect in different directions. Where did this extra ray come from?
I read the right hand vertical line as a reflection of the optic axis, which is fine. If it was intended as a ray then, as Drakkith says, it shouldn't be there.

HastiM said:

Take your finger and trace both rays at the same time at the same speed. The image location should approximately be where your fingers finally touch. I say "approximately" because your fingers aren't sharp and narrow instruments like a pen is. Also, if you draw more rays the focal point is the place where they all converge (ignoring aberrations), and you'll find that there's only one point for this.

I want to thank both of you very much! I think that I now have a better understanding of what is happening :-). Best regards

Likes Drakkith

1. What happens to the image if a mirror is placed at the focal distance of a biconvex lens?

If a mirror is placed at the focal distance of a biconvex lens, the image will appear to be at infinity. This is because the light rays from the object will be parallel to each other after passing through the lens, and the concave mirror will reflect them back parallel to each other.

2. Will the image be upright or inverted?

The image formed by a biconvex lens and a mirror will be inverted, meaning that it will appear upside down compared to the original object.

3. How does the position of the image change if the object is moved closer or further away from the lens?

If the object is moved closer to the lens, the image will move further away from the lens. If the object is moved further away from the lens, the image will move closer to the lens. This is because the focal length of the lens remains constant, so the distance between the object and the lens affects the distance between the image and the lens.

4. What happens to the size of the image if the object is moved closer or further away from the lens?

The size of the image will change proportionally to the distance between the object and the lens. If the object is moved closer to the lens, the image will appear larger. If the object is moved further away from the lens, the image will appear smaller.

5. Can this setup be used to create a magnified image?

Yes, this setup can be used to create a magnified image. By adjusting the distance between the object and the lens, the magnification of the image can be controlled. Moving the object closer to the lens will result in a larger magnification, while moving it further away will result in a smaller magnification.