Solving an Optics Problem: Convex Lens, Plane Mirror, and Virtual Image

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in geometrical optics involving a convex lens and a plane mirror. The individual attempts to solve the problem by applying the lens formula and concludes that the final image will be 60 cm to the right of the mirror and will be virtual. They also mention that the given answer options (B) and (C) may be incorrect. They then ask for assistance in solving the issue and thank the others in advance.
thunderhadron
Hi friends,

I am sticking in a problem of Geometrical OPTICS,
The problem is as https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285225_2890687243573_1306065782_n.jpg

Attempt -

Here for the convex lens applying the lens formula
1/v - 1/u = 1/f

so, 1/v = 1/u + 1/f

1/v = - 1/15 + 1/30 (since I have taken the left side as negative)

after solving this v = - 30 cm.

The image of the object will be 30 cm. far from the lens and left side of the lens and now this image will work as an object for the plane mirror. Its distance from the plane mirror will be 45 cm which is left of the it so it is real as far as I am concerned.

So from the mirror property now its Final image will be 60 cm right of it and will be virtual.

I think that the answer of the question is given wrong cause it is giving the answer options (B) & (C).

Please friends help me in solving this issue.
Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the rays going through the lens and then reflected by the mirror. Do they really intersect in front of the mirror?

ehild

Thank you very much ehild.

I got the answer.

1. How do I determine the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens can be determined using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. You can also use a ray diagram to determine the focal length by measuring the distance between the lens and the point where the rays converge.

2. What is the difference between a convex lens and a plane mirror?

A convex lens is a curved piece of glass that converges light rays, creating a real or virtual image. A plane mirror, on the other hand, is a flat surface that reflects light rays, creating a virtual image. Additionally, a convex lens can produce both magnified and inverted images, while a plane mirror always produces an upright image of the same size as the object.

3. How do I determine the position and nature of a virtual image created by a convex lens?

The position and nature of a virtual image created by a convex lens can be determined using a ray diagram. Draw two rays from the top and bottom of the object, passing through the center of the lens. The point where the rays intersect is the position of the virtual image. The nature of the image can be determined by the orientation of the rays - if they appear to diverge, the image is virtual. If they converge, the image is real.

4. Can a convex lens produce a magnified virtual image?

Yes, a convex lens can produce a magnified virtual image. This can occur when the object is placed within the focal length of the lens. In this case, the virtual image is larger than the object and appears to be behind the lens.

5. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but do not actually do so. Virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen and can only be seen when looking through the lens.