1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electron moving through a uniform magnetic field

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron moves through a uniform magnetic field given by B = Bx i + (3.68 Bx) j . At a particular instant, the electron has velocity v = (1.88 i +4.86 j) m/s and the magnetic force acting on it is (2.43 × 10-19) N. Find Bx.

Givens

B = [Bx i + (3.68 Bx)]

v = (1.88 + 4.86)

Fb = (2.43 × 10-19) N. Find Bx.

2. Relevant equations

Fb = q(B x V)

3. The attempt at a solution

(2.43 x 10^-19)k = (1.602 x 10^-19) [(Bx i + (3.68Bx) j) x (1.88 i + 4.86 j)

cross product resultant:

(2.43 x 10^-19)k = (1.602 x 10^-19) (-2.06*Bx)k

(2.43 x 10^-19)k = (-3.30 x 10^-19*Bx) k

I don't understand how to solve for the Bx, we haven't learned how to divide vectors, and I can't really pull the Bx out of the k vector as a scalar. How do I solve for the Bx???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since the two unit vectors are identical, you can cancel them. But if you want to do it by pure methods, there are two ways: consider magnitudes; take the dot product of each side with something convenient.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BX is not a vector, it is a number with a dimension. The vectors are ##\vec v## and ##\vec B = B_X \hat\imath + (3.68\;B_X) \hat\jmath\ ##.
    So check the dimensions (they should be fine) and find the value as you intended to do: by dividing.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe Ryan is referring to the two k vectors.

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello RyanTAsher,

Before I go through the math (privately on my own), could you help clear up a few ambiguities?

I'm assuming that the x in Bx is a subscript and not a variable. (In other words, I'm assuming that [itex] \vec B [/itex] is uniform and not a function of x.) Is that correct?

Are you sure about [itex] \vec F = q \left( \vec B \times \vec v \right) [/itex]? Is that correct or is something backwards?

(Also, don't forget that the charge of an electron is negative. i.e., [itex] q = -e [/itex])

In the initial problem statement, the force was given as (2.43 × 10-19) N with no direction specified. Later, you tacked on a [itex] \hat k [/itex]. I'm just wondering if the original problem statement had the [itex] \hat k [/itex] in it, or if the (2.43 × 10-19) N figure was meant to be magnitude only without specifying a direction. [Edit: Going through the math, I realize that the force must be along the z axis. But ultimately, one still needs to determine if the force is pointing in the positive or negative direction of the axis.]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  7. Apr 7, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Haru: of course, naive of me to overlook that; thanks!
    @CM: well pointed out. But now the wrong expression is appearing twice already in this thread (shudder) ....

@RTA: you're in good hands ! Bedtime for me. Good luck. And dividing out vectors is like dividing out Yuzzamatuzzes: if Zfluff Yuzzamatuzzes = 2.5 Yuzzamatuzzes, then you can be sure Zfluff = 2.5. It's a property of multiplication, not a property of Yuzzamatuzzes. There is only one snag to beware of: things go awry if Yuzzamatuzz = 0, because then you can't "divide them out" any more. (With thanks to dr. Seuss)

8. Apr 8, 2015 #7
    Yes, the Bx is a B with subscript x, Bx, and the force value did have the [itex] \hat k [/itex] with it. Sorry for the confusion. I am pretty positive about the [itex] \vec F = q \left( \vec B \times \vec v \right) [/itex] as that is what it says in my textbook.

9. Apr 8, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Lorentz force is definitely $$
    \vec F = q\, \left (\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B \right )
    $$no matter what your textbook says.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted